The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

401 Error Docs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pkuk, May 12, 2003.

1. pkuk

pkuk Well-Known Member

Hi

I've got a customer with a passworded area of their site, this works fine, other than when you enter 3 wrong passwords, the browser returns the following message "Additionally, a 401 Authorization Required error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request." the 401 file is present in both the directory which you initiate the link to the passworded area and also the new directory (which you can't access without the correct password). Any ideas why it's failing to read the 401.shtml file when it's clearly there?

Thanks in advance...

2. drm

drm Member

I'm having the same problem.

Did you manage to resolve it?

3. plake

plake Active Member

same issue here, still... anyone have an answer for this?

4. plake

plake Active Member

you know what, me thinks this has to do with the fact that their .htaccess file is sitting in the public_html folder, rather than a sub folder. Thus permissions for the 401.shtml are off limits, thus the default from apache.

perhaps the best solution is just to let the customer know of the limitations of the .htacess protocol and tell them to have a splash page with a redirect to a sub directory?

5. dlbelton

dlbelton Registered

I have also tried it with the .htaccess file in a subdirectory in the public_html directory, with the 401 error file in a freely accessable area, with the same results.

6. plake

plake Active Member

odd, what I posted above it was I did for the sub... I told them to make a splash page in public_html that redirects to the secured sub folder... the 401.shtml resides in the public_html folder which is world accessable... and it works for them...