Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

403 Error and public_html Permissions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scubaj, Aug 22, 2003.

1. scubaj

scubaj Member

Came across something interesting the other night and the problem is continuing. I did an update of the CPanel to the Current Stable release and all went well - no errors from what I can tell. I then had to recompile apache with CURL (ssl), MCrypt, and GD added. Once that finished I began receiving 403 errors on all virtual hosts. I finally found the problem was the permissions were changed to 750, from 755 - this is the problem.

That would not be that big of a deal, however when a new account is added - the permissions are set for 750, so unless the user knows to change the permissions - they do not see the site, and complain to me ;) - this also occurs if I rebuild apache, I have to go in and manually set the permissions of the public_html file to 755 to get all the sites back up.

So, in short - I know how to fix the problem, but I do not know how to solve the problem. The problem being where is the configuration that is used when creating the public_html file during an account creation. I'm guessing this is within apache somewhere, but I have not found it yet and the books, websites, and people I have spoken with do not have an answer for me.

CPanel/WHM Stats:
    WHM 7.4.2 cPanel 7.4.2-R116
    RedHat 7.3 - WHM X v2.1

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Jay
    tech@zonehosting.net

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. scubaj

scubaj Member

Any ideas? I found something, however it does not appear to be the script that is used to create the directory structure for cpanel - it's called makesite.

Anyone know the name of the script that is used to make the directory structure or atleast teh config file that is used?

-Jay

3. scubaj

scubaj Member

FOUND IT

Thanks for eveyone's help....

-Jay

4. henrynowa

henrynowa Registered

were di d you find it so i can fix it on my server
    henry

5. scubaj

scubaj Member

it's a problem in the wwwacct file and it needs to be monitored so it's not changed, as anythime an update get done, it changes it back - not sure why noone has a real solution to it.