Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

403 errors [moved]

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by keith80, Aug 13, 2006.

1. keith80

keith80 Member

Hi guys,

I have a problem where when I try to install an add on, such as Xoops or SMF, when I try to access it, I get a 403 -- Forbidden error. Why?

Keith.

Edit: I sent a support ticket to my host, but it's been about 2 months, never got an answer, decided to ask here.
    2nd Edit (sorry): I just backed up my site before, everything worked fine, had to backup due to accidental deletion of a crucial folder (public_html) for an attempt to install PHPWebSite in the toplevel directory. Nothing was in the /www direcotry except for stuff like vti folders and stuff like that... had to re-create my index.html file...

#1 keith80, Aug 13, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  2. elleryjh

elleryjh Well-Known Member

Sounds like the permissions or ownership on public_html may be set wrong.

They should be set like this:
    Code:
    chown [I]YOUR_USER_NAME[/I]:nobody /home/public_html
    chmod 750 /home/[I]YOUR_USER_NAME[/I]/public_html

You will have to get your host to at least set the ownership. If your host doesn't respond in 2 months (or 2 days, for that matter) it's time to find a better host.

3. keith80

keith80 Member

thanks

Ok thanks.... I just found out a couple of hours ago that the ticket never went through for some reason... can't beleive I didn't think of that... :eek: but I'm going to request for that today (ownership), thanks for the response:D

4. keith80

keith80 Member

Just wanted to let you know that the problem is solved.... I got a hold of my host, they told me to upload a couple of files, didn't work, tried the code, didn't work, so we ended up resetting my web site completely (good thing I was about too redo it anyway :) ), now everythings working well! Once again thanks for your help :)

Keith :cool: