451 Temporary local problem - please try later

Deker

Feb 15, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello

I recently moved an account to my new server. This account can not send/receive emails on the new server.
When I try to send an email to someone, I face the following errors:
squirrelmail
Message not sent. Server replied:

Requested action aborted: error in processing
451 Temporary local problem - please try later
atmail:
Could not send message to SMTP server. Check you have access to send messages via the server and that all To/CC/BCC addresses are valid\nError: SMTP Server rejected email. Returned:451 Temporary local problem - please try later

I checked if the user is existing in /etc/localdomains and found that it's already exist there.
also I changed $useSendmail = false; to true in the squirrel mail config:
/usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/squirrelmail/config/config.php
It only fixed sending mails via SquirrelMail not receiving.
also other webmails still can not send/receive emails.

I'm using latest version of cpanel.
Other services are upgraded to the latest stable version too.

Please guide me to fix the issue.

crazyaboutlinux

Nov 3, 2007
Hello,

In WHM at Main >> DNS Functions >> Edit MX Entry, the Email
Routing selector should be "Local Mail Exchanger more » OR " "Automatically Detect Configuration: Local (recommended) more »" . i was having this issue & i have updated to local mail exchanger & issue got resolved.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

I suggest opening a ticket with our staff if the other solutions advised here do not help. You can open a ticket via:

Submit A Ticket

Post the ticket number here so we can track the issue.

Thank you.

jestep

Dec 18, 2006
I'm assuming this has been resolved, but if not check the permissions and ownership of /home/accountname/etc

I recently ran into this problem after accidentally changing the group on the etc directory. It need to be owned by the user and the group should be mail.

# chown -R myuser:mail etc/

Skimice

Registered
Apr 28, 2014
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I'm assuming this has been resolved, but if not check the permissions and ownership of /home/accountname/etc

I recently ran into this problem after accidentally changing the group on the etc directory. It need to be owned by the user and the group should be mail.

# chown -R myuser:mail etc/
This worked for me! It was a permissions problem from when I had rsynched the etc folder earlier today as root.

skyrun

Registered
Dec 2, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
this last one (chown -R myuser:mail etc/) was GOLDEN! it would have taken me a LONG time to figure that out and i probably would have had to waste the time of the cPanel support team. THANKS skimice!

ebe

Jul 6, 2006
+1 Thank you!
( chmod -R user:user mail ) - rezolved moving mail files to new account
( chown -R user:mail etc ) - rezolved: Server error: '451 Temporary local problem - please try later'