Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

5.4 default_charset

Discussion in 'CloudLinux' started by ckh, Mar 3, 2014.

1. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I have alt-php installed, 5.4 is the default/native version. Within WHM, php configuration, I have the default_charset set to utf-8

On all the sites using the native php version, phpinfo() shows iso-8859-1 as the default_charset.

It also shows that the loaded configuration file is /usr/local/lib/php.ini which has utf-8 set as the default_charset.

There is no custom php.ini file being used.

I can't figure out why it won't take utf-8 as the charset, not sure if it's related to alt-php or not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. someB0dy

someB0dy Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just checked and default_cahrset is really applied and are shown in phpinfo() page. Where are you changing default_charset?

Suppose in /usr/local/lib/php.ini , while doing this in /opt/alt/php54/etc/php.ini would make it working like supposed to be.

3. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Well, I'd change it within whm and the /usr/local/lib/php.ini file is updated.

I believe the options in the /opt/alt/php?? directory is if a version is selected other than native and the /usr/local/lib/php.ini file is used if the user is using the version compiled into apache or native. But, I had tried changing the one in the opt/alt/php54 directory and that didn't do any either.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  5. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It wasn't a custom php.ini option. It was using the native php, which is 5.4. For some reason it is showing utf-8 as the charset today with no changes made. There must be some caching or something going on. Normally the results are instantaneous.

I have CL set up on about 5 or so servers this way and hadn't seen this before. The native changes had always been instantaneous when I made the modification in WHM. Actually, the custom changes had been instantaneous also.

Seems good to go now, maybe when the upcp ran it updated everything.

I had the primary drive fail on this server and reinstalled everything a couple days ago.

6. vipoint

vipoint Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The alt-php versions encoding can be changed in /opt/alt/php54/etc/php.ini.

You can change the default_charset for an user in /etc/cl.selector/php.conf.

The directives can be added as follows.

Directive = default_charset
    Default = iso-8859-1
    Range = utf-8,iso-8859-1
    Type = list

The user can change this option via control panel in item PHP Settings. Also this can be changed via piniset utility through commandline as follows.

/usr/bin/piniset --replace="default_charset:utf-8" --version=5.3 --user=username