The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 failed login attempts to account

Discussion in 'Security' started by FeeReD, Feb 21, 2014.

1. FeeReD

FeeReD Well-Known Member

Okay, so for the past 2 days, my server has experienced multiple brute force attacks on a 3 specific email accounts. It's not a problem I suppose but it does get quite annoying. And in the rare event that they actually guess the correct password, I am screwed.

What do you guys suggest I do? I wouldn't care so much if it was 4 or 5 a day, but this is getting to be once every 2 minutes consecutively. Last night, I was probably getting at least 100+ attempts within 10 minutes.

Cheers

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You could enable cPHulkd to help prevent a successful brute force. However, you may also want to utilize a firewall management tool such as CSF to block the IP addresses. Also, make sure you are using as complex passwords for your email accounts as you can.

Thank you.

3. FeeReD

FeeReD Well-Known Member

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the prompt response. I've set the field "Maximum Failures Per IP before IP is blocked for two week period:" to 5 but that only goes for 2 weeks. I'm assuming there isn't a away to extend that ban unless I block the IP's manually? Or use a third party firewall of course.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    There's a lot of this going around right now. For example, attacks on admin @ somedomain.com email addresses.

cPHulk can be helpful, A tightly secured server running CSF can be even more help.

The good news is your server is blocking them. This sort of thing only goes on for a few days. I had it going on here a while back, looked closer at any of my accounts using admin@ emails and contacted them to ask if they used it, and if yes, make sure the pass is rock solid. If they don't, kill it.

That won't stop the attacks of course, but at least you can feel better about trying to keep things locked down.

5. FeeReD

FeeReD Well-Known Member

Well, I am realizing now that they will never be able to log in. I use a remote exchange and they keep trying to connect to my cPanel server...

Either way, password is strong and I guess I feel better knowing now that it's not just me.

6. edigest

edigest Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    CSF/LFD (ConfigServer Security & Firewall) can be configured to block those attack after a configurable number of invalid login attempts. Fail2Ban is also a good option.

A large number like that in a short time implies a bot. If that is the case, you may be able to block the attacks using mod_security. I also block any visitor to any of my servers that does not have a valid user agent. That alone has cut down a lot of mischief.

Last, but not least, enforce strong passwords.

7. greenflyms

greenflyms Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I see between 50 - 150 failed login attempts daily. These are from every country on the planet and attempting usernames from A-Z and so far (knock on wood) no one has permeated the system. So no it is not just you. Thsi last Monday was an exceptionally prolific day of attempts.

Either way, password is strong and I guess I feel better knowing now that it's not just me.[/QUOTE]