The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 ucc or single certificate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnLingo, Oct 1, 2014.

1. JohnLingo

JohnLingo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have been seeing the problems with the 5 ucc cert from godaddy. I was trying to set one up myself for main whm. I am wondering if i should use a single instead yet will that ruin the 5 ucc i set up for domain that the server runs on. if I use a single ie my domain is helpme.com my sever is server69.helpme.com and i am using 2 ip's I also have dedicated ips for my other sites which i will be adding 5 uccs to. so if i use a single cert on helpme.com will that make it so i can not use the 5 ucc on helpme.com because i used a single cert already for that domain.

It makes me wonder because it seems that cpanel says it can utilize ucc certificates it says. I searched for the last hour and more for a solved ucc cert forum but could not find anything.
    Thanks
    JohnLingo

2. JohnLingo

JohnLingo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I was also wonder if i should be adding domains like mail.helpme.com and any other such domains that should be covered so that everything is secure that needs to be.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. JohnLingo

JohnLingo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I set up all names i wanted to use on certificate. server11.helpme.com support.helpme.com ect then i requested a signing certificate then i rekeyed my 5 ucc and it said that there was no account helpme.com on server. The first time i set every thing up i just did the ucc for helpme.com and it seemed to work although i had a warning because domain had not propagated yet and i was using ip to log in but it showed secure connection so i assume it worked. I decided to try and get it all done at once second time around and thus the problem. now it says no account for helpme.com. As there are other domains ie server11.helpme.com i do not know if i have to do mail.helpme.com databases.helpme.com or if there are other services that i have to cover with a certificate thus the reason for the ucc so i could cover all bases to ensure server was secure for users. I seen where one certificate can cover everything but i also seen a setting for mail.helpme.com so why I wonder. I am new greener than grass but i do my research first and ask as a last resort not wanting to be a bother.

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you attach a screenshot of the error message you receive so we can get a better idea of what issue you are experiencing? Please keep in mind that you must reissue these certificates each time that you add a new host.

Thank you.

6. JohnLingo

JohnLingo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    ok I was not adding the ip address reason for not working. I discovered this following a forum that said to start with only one name. I have that done and it is installed. the domain has not propagated so i can not check if it works. then I seen farther down that i was supposed to do all. So now I am really lost I have about 9 different directions floating through my head and wondering where do I go from here. I see a lot of forums about this and feel rather silly for adding to the large number of ssl ucc posts

7. JohnLingo

JohnLingo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I wonder would it be easier to purchase another domain name and purchase a single ssl and would it be easy to change the WHM setting to new hostname and ns records, yet the server uses server11.mydomain.com can that be changed to just newdomain.com. and use that domain just to service the server.

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can configure a new hostname, but it can't match a domain name you have added to an account. Instead, it should be a subdomain that's not added to an account (e.g. abc.server.com).

As for the UCC issue, could you attach a screenshot of the error message you receive so we can get a better idea of what issue you are experiencing?

Thank you.

9. JohnLingo

JohnLingo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    ok I have the problem half solved. I was following the forum "post956852" and i got to the point where I have to get a file from server. (Open your httpd.conf (/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf) and copy the VirtualHost definition for your primary SSL VirtualHost to a text file. (You don't necessarily need to back it up, you're not going to change or save it.)

I logged into putty and inserted the command but putty said i do not have privileges to do that. I notice this was in 2011 and maybe things have changed since then so is there a way to get at this file and edit it so I can add the 4 other hosts to it. Am I following another dead end because of updated whm. I have already re keyed the certificate at least 5 times so I am hoping that I have it right so far and my amending the certificate itself is finally done. Hoping it is just a mnatter of adding to some file I can get at.

So I am now researching how to get at what file I am to edit if things have changed as far as file system goes or accessing the file.

On a lighter note I got one of my accounts all set up with a 5 ucc and the domains work it goes green no problem. So there is hope for me.

#9 JohnLingo, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should be able to install it through Web Host Manager. Could you attach a screenshot of the error message you receive when attempting to install it via WHM so we can get a better idea of what issue you are experiencing?

Thank you.

11. JohnLingo

JohnLingo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I figured I would try to re install the certificate again but as the server11.itworked.com and it worked same shared ip and it goes green so success on securing server and services., now even the web site area works for server11.itworked.com. how do i set up area for main domain. I get error message when I try to access itworked.com - yet secureserver11.itworked.com has a web page but not the top domaiin. has to be resolving ok as the subdomain works. I tried to create an account but i get
    Create a New Account

Account Creation Status: failed
    The domain “itworked.com” already exists in the Apache configuration.

any ideas??

12. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look. You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.