The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

500 Internal Server Error after 15 minutes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 5hak, Oct 6, 2010.

1. 5hak

5hak Member

I have a dedicated Apache Linux server and have suExec enabled.
    When we run a php script after 15 minutes the message appears 500 Internal Server Error. We need the script to run without a limit in order to upload our files.
    I have changed the PHP settings to unlimited but it still times out. Is there any settings that override the PHP settings.
    I removed the .htaccess to check to see if this is inteferring but same issue.
    I have set all the permissions to 0755 & 0644.
    This issue started when i upgraded to cpanel before this i was using webmin and had no issues.
    Can any one help me please i am new to this and dont have much knowledge your help will be most appreciated.

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Friendly moderator note

Since you posted in response to a thread that was over a year old, I moved your post to its own thread. The situation you describe is not likely related to the one discussed in the old thread.

You can use the following command to view the Apache error log while the internal server error is happening:

Code:
    # tail -f /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log
    Knowing the exact error that is generated will greatly narrow down troubleshooting, and the error will be logged. Also, if you are using suPHP as your PHP handler, you can see if the suPHP log contains any error messages using the following command:

Code:
    # tail -f /usr/local/apache/logs/suphp_log
    You can find which PHP handler you are using with the following command:

Code:
    # /usr/local/cpanel/bin/rebuild_phpconf --current
    or in the WebHost Manager by clicking Main >> Service Configuration >> Apache Configuration >> PHP and SuExec Configuration.

3. 5hak

5hak Member

Hi

Thank you for your response i have had a look at the suphp_log and all the messages are the same see below

[Thu Oct 07 02:20:57 2010] [info] Executing "/home/wwwhome/public_html/process_images.php" as UID 503, GID 501
    [Thu Oct 07 02:20:57 2010] [info] Executing "/home/wwwhome/public_html/process_images.php" as UID 503, GID 501

I have also gone into the error log and have listed the messages below:

[Thu Oct 07 02:24:53 2010] [error] [client 82.36.36.66] Premature end of script headers: process_userMember.php, referer: http://homepackage.co.uk/krash5/admin/edituserSeller.php?id=354
    [Thu Oct 07 02:26:56 2010] [error] [client 82.36.36.66] File does not exist: /home/wwwhome/public_html/500.shtml, referer: http://homepackage.co.uk/krash5/admin/edituserSeller.php?id=354
    [Thu Oct 07 02:28:03 2010] [error] [client 66.249.65.51] File does not exist: /home/wwwhome/public_html/go_files/items/375843-YPWTVRRSXSPTWVXZXQTTRRXZTXTWR.jpg
    [Thu Oct 07 02:28:03 2010] [error] [client 66.249.65.51] File does not exist: /home/wwwhome/public_html/404.shtml

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    At this point, it might be easiest to instead open a ticket to support to have us troubleshoot the issue. You can open a ticket via WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel

Please reference this thread when opening the ticket and provide details to log into the machine in it. Also, please ensure to provide the link that is producing the 500 Internal Server Error (and ensure not to do anything to correct the error so we can see it happening). I'm personally a bit baffled by how it would work for around 15 minutes before it starts producing the Internal Server Error.

5. 5hak

5hak Member

I have logged into WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel and entered my IP address and its advising me to contact Heart Internet which i have done on several occasions and there response was that they dont provide support for scripting issues.

I dont think its a scripting issue but am lost from here what can you suggest.
    Whenever any php scipt is run it runs for exactly 15 minutes and the we get a 500 internal server error.

6. JeffP.

JeffP. Well-Known Member

Hi 5hak,

With PHP there is a file on the server that controls how PHP works for all users. For example, one particular setting controls how much memory a script can use.

There is also a setting - "max_execution_time" - which controls how long a script can run for. If I had to guess I'd say that the server admin has that set to 900 seconds, which would be 15 minutes.

My recommendation would be to ask the local admin for the current value of the max_execution_time setting.

7. 5hak

5hak Member

Thank you for the response the max_execution_time is set to 21600 it was originaly 300 if it helps you can view the settings here
    phpinfo()

8. 5hak

5hak Member

Hi

The Value for max_execution_time has been changed to 21600 which should be 6 hours but it hasnt made a difference.
    ou can view the settings at phpinfo()

9. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you have root access to your machine, you could go ahead and simply open a ticket at Additional Support Options - cPanel Inc. using the Complimentary Support option. This type of issue is really easier to check into via a ticket given the situation. This is only viable if you have root SSH access and root WHM access for us to investigate.

10. 5hak

5hak Member

Hi

I have tried a support ticket with cpanel they have had a look but i am still getting the 500 internal server error can some one help

11. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Please let me know your support request ID number. I would like to review the specific details noted to ensure that I understand the circumstances involved.