The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

500 page on website but not others

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jimbos, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Jimbos

Jimbos Registered

Hi Guys, please bear with me as I am a complete newbie with linux and whm.

I have a website that just started the 500 page and I have an identical website on the same server that is fine. This websites have been running great since I uploaded them awhile back. All the other websites on this server are also fine.

I have read through as many post as I could to find out why but just can't seem to get it.

I am running a dedicated server with php5, the largest log file I have is 280mb and found nothing in the logs about this problem. All my logs are set for rotation, the php handler is suphp, Apache suEXEC is set to on.

No file permissions were changed. Oh the backend or admin part of the website works fine just the front side get's the error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

#1 Jimbos, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  2. ChrisRHS

ChrisRHS Well-Known Member

Which logs did you look at? You should take a look at your apache logs, and your suexec logs. You state that no permissions where changed, however, if never hurts to double check! :)

3. Jimbos

Jimbos Registered

Yes I looked at the apache logs suexec logs, I will check the permissions again maybe I just missed something when I checked before.

Thanks for the reply, should I look for anything odd in the permissions?

4. ChrisRHS

ChrisRHS Well-Known Member

Yes, files can have the max permission of 644, while directories can have 755. Also make sure that all of the files within the account are owned by the correct user and group.

5. Jimbos

Jimbos Registered

Thanks Chris,

Ok I went through every file and directory checking permissions and they all seem to be ok like you said 644 and 755.

Now if you could maybe point my in the right direction on making sure the website is owned correctly because I have never done that part whm did it for me. Don't laugh.

Thanks again

6. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    suPHP is not suExec

If you are using suPHP as the PHP handler, then the relevant log will be suphp_log, not suexec_log. suexec is used for CGI scripts. suPHP has its own log.

A 500 error caused by a PHP script will cause an entry to be written to either error_log or suphp_log, both in /usr/local/apache/logs. That is assuming that the log file itself is not full. Make sure that no files in /usr/local/apache/logs are 2.0GB or larger in size. It appears that you have already checked the file size, so that should not be a factor in your case.

What I like to do is use tail -f to follow the error_log and also the suphp_log while loading the affected page in my browser, so I can see the error as it happens.

You can also try executing the PHP script directly from the shell, to see if it generates any errors.

The site's files and directories, everything in the account's public_html directory, need to be owned by the account user and group. If the cPanel account name is someacc, then the ownerships need to be someacc:someacc. Ownership by any other user will cause an error that will be manifested as a 500 internal server error.

7. Jimbos

Jimbos Registered

Thank you for your reply,

I just deleted all the files and re-uploaded them and that seems to have worked. I am not sure what the heck happened but I sure do appreciate you guys jumping on this like you did to help.

I am learning and this just taught me more and what to look for.

Thanks again

8. CDDHosting

CDDHosting Member

Your htaccess is always the number one source for 500 errors if you have just edited it.

Also the file permissions would also cause this sometimes.