The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA with a twist...HELP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mfreund, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mfreund

mfreund Member

I am familiar with rhy the server would give back this error due to the server requiring authentication and I DO have that turned on in my outlook and all pop account WORK.....BUT here is what is going on.......I have some email forwarding aliases being forwarded to a valid pop account on the server and when mail comes in from those aliases and I try to reply I get the 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA error. Why would this be? I assume it is because of the email from address being different then the pop account.......Well what do I do now...I need the aliases and I need to return mail that comes in to those aliases. Any help would be appreciated. Again I have the authentication turned on and I have it set to use same info as incoming server as well..

Any help is appreciated

Matt

2. mfreund

mfreund Member

as always in this forum....no replys....very dissappointing....seems alot are having this problem

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

People will reply if they want to, there's no obligation on anyone here.

As for the mail issue, you need to tail your /var/log/exim_mainlog and then recreate the issue and see what errors/messages are produced.

4. mfreund

mfreund Member

I am not talking about the people here....I am talking about cpanel crap support

5. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

You know it sure looks like you are not happy with cpanel in just about all your threads and posts. Maybe it was a particular issue or maybe a combination of several things, but it is clear that something has turned you against cpanel. There really are choices out there. If it's bothering you so bad to be paying and using cpanel that you hold so much hatred for cpanel like you do then maybe it's time for you and cpanel to get a divorce and part ways. I see so many of your posts that are clearly issues that are simple user error and instead of asking for help nicely from us in the community like ole Chirpy with 2 million posts who helps people about once every 13 seconds,...you come in slinging mud. What kind of result do you think you are going to get when you are so biased to stat with? Maybe it would be best if you moved on? you know cpanel isn't for everyone and never has been. Maybe you would do better with another product? and i mean that sincerely.

6. XzaB

XzaB Active Member

Try to force update cPanel

Code:
    /scripts/upcp --force
    or Rebuild Exim

Code:
    /scripts/buildeximconf
    /scripts/newexim --force

if those didn't help your problem so please copy and paste the mail error log here

try for Exim Main Log

Code:
    tail /var/log/exim_mainlog

7. RandyO

RandyO Well-Known Member

I have had this issue and it is typically client side, IE mail client does not have a valid email address entered in the account config. The bigger problem is that on root account owners (where the user name is just the cpanel name) there is something either in exim/cpanel/mailscanner that rejects the mail from the users account. If the root account owner fills in a valid user account from his domain, it will kill the error. Sorry I do not know why this happens, just figured out how to get rid of it...

8. ZeusChicago

ZeusChicago Active Member

I am having the same problem (and it just started happening last week sometime I belive). I had never noticed it before, but I am getting this when trying to send myself (jim.bodine(at)comcast.net a mail from an account on my server (zeus(at)almightyservices.com)

Code:
    2007-04-27 00:36:14 cwd=/usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot 4 args: /usr/sbin/exim -C /etc/exim_outgoing.conf -bp
    2007-04-27 00:38:15 H=(232-79-109-203.static.youtele.com) [203.109.79.232] sender verify fail for <fgbyearbucsqz@ms1.pcedu.com.tw>: response to "MAIL FROM:$
    2007-04-27 00:38:15 H=(232-79-109-203.static.youtele.com) [203.109.79.232] F=<fgbyearbucsqz@ms1.pcedu.com.tw> rejected RCPT <bookings@dj-teribristol.com>: $
    2007-04-27 00:38:15 unexpected disconnection while reading SMTP command from (232-79-109-203.static.youtele.com) [203.109.79.232]
    2007-04-27 00:39:02 H=(70.84.185.130) [124.201.96.128] sender verify fail for <fgbyearbucsqz@ms1.pcedu.com.tw>
    2007-04-27 00:39:02 H=(70.84.185.130) [124.201.96.128] F=<fgbyearbucsqz@ms1.pcedu.com.tw> rejected RCPT <bookings@dj-teribristol.com>: Sender verify failed
    2007-04-27 00:40:07 H=(localhost) [74.136.16.74] F=<gaidica.com@thejandsgroup.com> rejected RCPT <bookings@naughtybadfun.org>: No Such User Here
    2007-04-27 00:40:07 unexpected disconnection while reading SMTP command from (localhost) [74.136.16.74]
    2007-04-27 00:40:11 H=(jbodine) [71.194.250.76] sender verify fail for <zeus@almightyervices.com>: unrouteable mail domain "almightyervices.com"
    2007-04-27 00:40:11 H=(jbodine) [71.194.250.76] F=<zeus@almightyervices.com> rejected RCPT <jim.bodine@comcast.net>: Sender verify failed

no please note I was sending from my "zeus@almightyservcices.com account to jim.bodine@comcast.net and its saying almighyservices.com is not routeable? I did a dnsreport on my domain and everything looks fine there. I really dont understand what the problem is...

Z

9. ZeusChicago

ZeusChicago Active Member

10. QWPM

QWPM Registered

503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA

"503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA" when forwarding or replying

I have seen a few errors where people have mentioned that they only get this error when replying or forwarding and NOT when they create a brand new email. This actually is very easy to resolve and is simply an Outlook Client oversight.

If you have multiple mailboxes, much like I do, and they're set-up to send and receive within your email client (I have 5 e.g. info@domain.com and info@domain.co.uk and marketing@domain.co.uk etc) then each of these mailboxes need to have the box for "my server requires authentication" ticked. Check each and every mailbox account you have setup to send and receive in Outlook as this is the problem. Why is this happening? well, even though your default mailbox is set in Outlook (mine is the info@domain.co.uk) - if someone sends you an email to, for example, your marketing@domain.com, then when you click forward or reply, Outlook will then use your marketing@domain.com account to send the mail. If this account has not got the outgoing "my server requires authentication" box ticked, then you will get this error. Like me, I never send email from my marketing@domain.com email address, all emails get sent from my default mailbox so you are led to believe it is an error with your default mailbox but the clue is in the email when you are forwarding or replying - just above the To: line in the forwarding email you will see a blue box which says : "this message will be sent via marketing@domain.com". So, to recap, be careful when replying or forwarding to emails which were sent to your other mailboxes and ensure that those mailboxes also have the correct settings set the same as your default primary mailbox in Outlook :) - be interesting to know if this has resolved the issue for many others as I could not find an answer to this anywhere on the internet and it is such a blatant Outlook end user oversight!!!!!!! (meaning, it was me - not Outlook)!!!:D

11. ruzbehraja

ruzbehraja Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    • Ensure that the Outlook PST (User Profile) file has not exceeded 2GB. Outlook can throw up weird errors when the PST File is large.
    • Ensure that "SMTP Server needs Authentication" is selected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.