503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA

ntwaddel

Nov 3, 2003
Templeton, CA
I updated cpanel last night now i am getting this error when users try to send mail. I checked and NOTHING is being written to maillog now. Does anyone have any tips to try?

fizz

Jan 25, 2002
Im getting the same thing. Comes back as soon as i try to send mail.

Any ideas on this? Antirelayd is running, and /etc/relayshosts* is NOT being written to.

Running latest edge.

fizz

Jan 25, 2002
I tried downgrading to latest release build and same problem still occurs, any clues ?

fizz

Jan 25, 2002
Nope, but checking exim_mainlog, i found the following

Code:
2004-12-15 14:00:17 H=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.swfla.rr.com (fizz) [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] 
F=<[email protected]> rejected RCPT <[email protected]>: 
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.swfla.rr.com (fizz) [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] is currently not permitted to relay 
through this server. Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap server in the last 30 
minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication turned on in your email client.

fizz

Jan 25, 2002
looks like logrotate is screwed up, all current data for maillog is being written to maillog.2

Aric1

Oct 15, 2003
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Typically, this error appears only if you aren't authenticating and thus Exim falls back on POP before SMTP authentication.

if you haven't checked your e-mail via POP3 and logged in successfully first before trying to send mail, you will see that error.

Of course, there could be other issues, but that's the most likely and the one you should check first.

fizz

Jan 25, 2002
Obiously one of the first things I checked. I run several servers, and I have clients with that problem all the time, but this is happening to everyone on the server, not just me (the admin). relayhosts is not being written to, and antirelayd is also running.

fizz

Jan 25, 2002
/scripts/fixrelayd fixed for me as of now, it now inserts the IP of person checking mail into relayhosts file.

ryno267

Mar 3, 2004
Chandler, AZ
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I just got a client complaining of this error too:

I ran the /scripts/fixrelayd script

Hopefully that will fix this issue...

anything else that could be done to help?

ntwaddel

Nov 3, 2003
Templeton, CA
ryno267 said:
I just got a client complaining of this error too:

I ran the /scripts/fixrelayd script

Hopefully that will fix this issue...

anything else that could be done to help?
have you tried restarting syslogd and antirelayd?

lelahosting

Aug 17, 2004
I am having this problem on one of my servers now as well. i have tried everything listed above.

any other ideas?

thanks!

Jeff75

Apr 11, 2003
Anybody? Did any of you above ever find a solution to this? I just tried rebooting the entire server and it's still occuring.

wolfsnack

Registered
Nov 14, 2002
I found that the exim was set to verify the senders email and usually the sender was trying to send email with their user account instead of an actual email account. This returned as a bad email for exim and was consequently rejected. Solution was to create an email for the user to use for sending emails, a simple forward setup to the user account would send any actual email that came to the sending email account to the user account.

Works until there is a definative fix. ;)

steve248

Apr 11, 2003
wolfsnack said:
I found that the exim was set to verify the senders email and usually the sender was trying to send email with their user account instead of an actual email account. This returned as a bad email for exim and was consequently rejected. Solution was to create an email for the user to use for sending emails, a simple forward setup to the user account would send any actual email that came to the sending email account to the user account.

Works until there is a definative fix. ;)
I just got this error and ran scripts/fixrelayd which foxed the problem for me.

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
IF you're run fixrelayd do check /etc/syslog.conf and make sure you don't have a duplicate line in there now as that script tends to do. If you do, remove it and restart syslog.

nsusa

Jun 30, 2004
Colorado, USA
Same thing happened to me tonight, too. Did not find this thread in time and moved the customer to a different server where things were working fine. Strange stuff.

Chris

zye

Dec 6, 2002
fixed it also for me

but it is VERY bad that oviously a nightly cpanel Package / security Package update did do this

zye