The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

550 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by andyroshill, May 12, 2011.

1. andyroshill

andyroshill Registered

I'm switching from Plesk to cPanel so this is my first attempt to create a cPanel account that needs to use a remote mail server.

This is cPanel 11. Accelerated 2? I followed these steps in cPanel:

in Email routing I selected Remote Mail Exchanger
    I changed the MX record destination to mail.domain.com

Then in advanced DNS Zone Editor created an A record mail.domain.com. 14400 IN A then the IP address of remote Exchange Server

Which seemed remarkably simple and great!

However when I sent a test e-mail to name@domain.com it bounced immediately with:

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for

The hosting company where the cPanel is say it's a problem with the receiving exchange server setup, and the exchange server people say it's a problem with my setup! My problem is I'm not 100% sure myself where the actual problem lies... The exchange people say that the domain and recipient are correctly configured and indeed I can e-mail happily from my old Plesk server to the exchange server...

I think that the Exchange server people need to allow the IP address of where the cPanel is hosted 'access' to their server, but like I say I'm not 100% sure...

Can anyone confirm I have set the cPanel up correctly and that the rejection and Unable to relay error is indeed coming from the exchange server at the 'end of the line' and not from my cPanel setup?

Thank you very much in advance for any helpful hints or tips!

Andy

2. andyroshill

andyroshill Registered

In case this posts helps anyone in this situation in the future, my cPanel setup was correct, unbelievably the domain in question hadn't been setup properly on the remote exchange server, despite the guy in charge of it insisting it was!

I followed the procedure on this page Telnet Command SMTP Check Port 25 and once I'd logged into the remote server and got the Relay denied error whilst actually being logged into the exchange server, they guy on the exchange server finally had to check it out and of course the truth came out...

Bottom line is the steps outlined in my question will get your domain sending e-mail to a remote server no problems.