550 This domain is not hosted here

jot

Oct 3, 2020
England
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I've just set up a first email account for my domain which IS hosted here (and the associated website is working fine). Can send from the email account using webmail but when I try to send an email back (from my personal gmail account) I get an email failure with reason 550 This domain is not hosted here. Is there something else I need to set up via cPanel to be able to receive emails?

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
how long has it been set up, DNS could take a while to propagate, maybe Gmail doesn't know that you exist yet.
Failing that, have a play around with MXToolbox.com, it has a few tools for checking this sort of thing and might give you some pointers.

Also a common issue with new configs is RDNS, although I'd expect as a web site owner (and not a server/root admin), this would already be taken care of by your host.

jot

Oct 3, 2020
England
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Thanks v much for your reply. I'll check out MXToolbox. I'm having trouble getting my head around the difference between DNS entries at the domain level (which seem to be managed using a tool outside cPanel) and those manged using the Zone Editor in cPanel. Clearly, I need to do some more reading!

cPJeremy

Technical Analyst
Staff member
Feb 13, 2019
Houston TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello @jot !

@keat63 is correct that it is most likely that DNS may not have propogated yet. However, you do have to ensure that your hosting provider allows your cPanel account the "authority" to make DNS changes. In order for the cPanel account's "Zone Manager" to manage your DNS records, you have to ensure the Domain Registrar is properly pointing your domain to the hosting provider's Nameservers. If this is not setup, then you have to the use the domain registrar's site directly to make DNS changes.

As mentioned, Mxtoolbox.com is a great resource to view where the email for a domain is pointing. I would ensure that your domain has a proper MX record that is pointing directly to your server. If you have any other questions about this, please let us know!

Best regards,

jot

Oct 3, 2020
England
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
hI @cPJeremy!

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated. I have resolved the (initial) problem which was caused by (my ignorance! and) extra domain DNS entries that pointed to non-existent email boxes rather than cPanel.

The Mxtoolbox.com looks very powerful and will, no doubt, prove invaluable once I figure out what it is telling me. I'm a reasonably well experienced webmaster but have never had to become involved in setting up email and I'm finding it an absolute minefield. I've already picked up useful tips from this forum so will persevere and aim to contribute if I learn anything useful.

Onwards and upwards(?) to DKIM now. I can feel a headache coming on already.

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Before having my own server, this is how i had DNS configured.
I had a CPanel account with a hosting company, in my case HostPapa.

I purchased my domains through 123-reg, which gives me two DNS tables.
One where I can control the DNS myself, another where I could override the self controlled one and configure just the NameServer entries.

Generally, your host provider, will have their own name server, and this would already be populated with your specific DNS tables.
In effect, you wouldn't need to get involved too much.

All you would need to do would be to ensure that your domain name points to your hosts NS Servers.
Your host should take care of the rest.

As for DKIM, CPanel has this covered, where you just tick a box.

cPJeremy

Technical Analyst
Staff member
Feb 13, 2019
Houston TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello @jot!

I am really glad this forum has been useful! Understanding DNS in-depth is something that definitely comes more as you update it for the domain. One thing that might be helpful is that cPanel has a built-in function called "Email Deliverability" which can generate you a DKIM record that you can add to your domain registrar's DNS. Here are some additional resources that might help you with that:

cPanel Documentation - Email Deliverability
How to view your SPF and DKIM records in the cPanel interface

If you require more help please feel free to open a ticket with our support team using the link in my signature!

Best regards,

jot

Oct 3, 2020
England
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Before having my own server, this is how i had DNS configured.
I had a CPanel account with a hosting company, in my case HostPapa.

I purchased my domains through 123-reg, which gives me two DNS tables.
One where I can control the DNS myself, another where I could override the self controlled one and configure just the NameServer entries.

Generally, your host provider, will have their own name server, and this would already be populated with your specific DNS tables.
In effect, you wouldn't need to get involved too much.

All you would need to do would be to ensure that your domain name points to your hosts NS Servers.
Your host should take care of the rest.

As for DKIM, CPanel has this covered, where you just tick a box.
Thanks, @keat63. Sounds like your old setup is similar to what I've got now - domains and shared hosting through 123-reg with cPanel.

One thing that is puzzling me, tho, is that the only DKIM facility within cPanel that I have is 'Encryption' which allows me to use GnuPG to generate a key pair. I can't see any option to enable or disable DKIM, and the 'Email Deliverability' option is not available which is a pity, given that it sounds quite useful. I've generated a key pair but have not generated an SPF/TXT record in 123-reg DNS tables for it yet - need to think it through a bit more first (especially since the public key generates an error using one of the online checkers).

jot

Oct 3, 2020
England
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello @jot!

I am really glad this forum has been useful! Understanding DNS in-depth is something that definitely comes more as you update it for the domain. One thing that might be helpful is that cPanel has a built-in function called "Email Deliverability" which can generate you a DKIM record that you can add to your domain registrar's DNS. Here are some additional resources that might help you with that:

cPanel Documentation - Email Deliverability
How to view your SPF and DKIM records in the cPanel interface

If you require more help please feel free to open a ticket with our support team using the link in my signature!

Best regards,
Thank you, @cPJeremy. Is there any reason why I would not have the Email Deliverability option available in my cPanel?