554 Certificate rejected over TLS. (unknown protocol)

BearcatScott

Registered
Jun 1, 2016
Dayton, OH
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Some people are getting this error when sending email to us (see below). However, some days the email comes through and others they get the 554 Certificate rejected error. Does anyone know how to fix this? From doing some searching around, it looks like we need to use the SSL/TLS Manager to fix this but that does not show up on our Security in cPanel. I believe that is because we do not have a static ip address. I am at a loss. TIA

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 Certificate rejected over TLS. (unknown protocol)

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 Certificate rejected over TLS. (unknown protocol)
Hello,

Could you review /var/log/exim_mainlog and /var/log/exim_rejectlog and let us know the output when this happens? EX:

Code:
exigrep [email protected] /var/log/exim_mainlog
Thank you.

BearcatScott

Registered
Jun 1, 2016
Dayton, OH
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

Could you review /var/log/exim_mainlog and /var/log/exim_rejectlog and let us know the output when this happens? EX:

Code:
Thank you.
I'm not sure how to review those logs. What I have access to is the cpanel UI. Here is what I have to choose from in the UI. I looked at the Error Log and Raw Access Logs but these appear to be only for our website.

Attachments

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
What I have access to is the cpanel UI.
You won't be able to review those logs without root access to the system. You will need to report this issue to your web hosting provider so they can take a closer look.

Thank you.

arisdotdigital

Registered
Aug 5, 2019
turkey
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

Code:
Thank you.
Hi,
We have the same problem. A domain that is not on our server sends mail to domains on our server, it gets the same error.(Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 Certificate rejected over TLS. (unknown protocol)

As root, we have access to the server. Reviewing the /eximrejectlog and /exim_mainlog did not find a problem. Shall we send you the file?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello @arisdotdigital,

Feel free to submit a ticket with us if you'd like us to take a closer look at the logs. You can post the ticket number here and we'll link this thread to it.

Thank you.