The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

64 bit OS with CPanel Worth it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thewird, Jan 15, 2008.

1. thewird

thewird Well-Known Member

I have dual quad-core Xeon machine where I want to run a PHP script that uses a TON of CPU and was wondering if there would be any performance benifit from going 64bit. The server will have 16GB of ram so I would need the PAE kernel if I go 32bit which to my understanding comes at a slight performance cost. I am planning to use Fedora 7 as my OS because I like the extra packages it provides. Maybe I should go with CentOS 5 though (I'm not sure if the motherboard supports this old kernel though since I have another system which will not work with CentOS 5 because the kernel is too old)? Any advice?

thewird

2. thewird

Bump, for the morning people.

thewird

3. thewird

Bump for the evening people?

thewird

4. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

I am not a Xeon / quad core expert but I would think that Centos 5 would run it just fine. It is fairly new so I am not sure how its kernel would be considered old. You can always install the latest kernel using yum as well. For any type of server I would go with an Enterprise OS, running a production server with Fedora sounds like trouble waiting to happen. We have been running 64 bit kernels on dual core opteron servers for the better part of two years and had no issues beyond one isolated kernel bug.

#4 mike25, Jan 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  5. thewird

The CentOS 5 kernel is old. It uses the kernel 2.6.18.8 which was released on 23-Feb-2007. The motherboard I used for Core2Quad systems will not boot without the 2.6.21 kernel minimum. And since this motherboard was just released for the new Harpertowns, I'm not holding my breath about it supporting CentOS 5 but I'll give it a shot.

As for the issue with 64bit, it isn't whether it will work fine because I have other systems running 64bit without issue that needed 64bit. The question I have is will it improve performance of a website that runs on PHP that gobbles CPU like you wouldn't believe.

thewird

6. thewird

CentOS 5 worked afterall and I ended up going 64bit. I still do not know if I made the right choice performance wise though.

thewird