The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

64 bit recommendation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cisnet, Jan 23, 2007.

1. cisnet

cisnet Member

I am looking to upgrade from Fedora 4 64 bit, since it is no longer supported. It has run flawlessly for me so far. Some folks seem to think that 64 bit has been problematic and no real benefit, though, this has not been my experience. Should I look towards CentOS? I tried FreeBSD early on, but could not do the old 'build world' thing to get support for Front Page extensions to work properly. I can live with out Front Page nicely, but my customers can't.

2. nwilkens

nwilkens Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Recommendation

Depending on what you are doing, 64 bit does have advantages. Particularly when you require large memory support for an application. I personally have not had any problems with 64 bit on Fedora, Red Hat, SLES, or CentOS.

I think CentOS is a better direction than Fedora, although I am not aware of an upgrade path from Fedora -> CentOS (aside from install new, restore data). CentOS has enterprise type maintenance periods, whereas Fedora is quite a bit shorter as you may have noticed.

From: http://centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=42
    How long will CentOS-4 updates be supported?
    We intend to support CentOS-4 updates until Feb 29, 2012.

The current plan is this:
    Full Updates (including hardware updates): Currently to Feb 29, 2008
    Maintenance Updates: Mar 1, 2008 to Feb 29, 2012

Nick