The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

64 bit software seems buggy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Digital2, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Digital2

Digital2 Member

I recently migrated my sites from a dual Xeon server to a Dual Opteron and, I must admit, I am not very impressed with the Opteron. Most of my resellers use Front Page (God knows why) and the migration was a total disaster. Also, the kernel is crashing every third night or so. I am considering abandoning the opteron box and switching back to Xeons. I never had down time with the Xeon box and the WHM is far less buggy. Even on 32 bit servers, though, the build apache function in WHM seems to have extensive issues. Anyone else had the same experience?

2. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

Digital2
    Had the same issue with 64bit on opteron but reformating it and using 32bit solved it.

Was actually just thinking of trying a dual core opteron but that only runs on 64bit which would be a hairpulling experience again, so am reconsidering :D

3. Etheral

Etheral Well-Known Member

The cPanel 64bit build was extremly buggy for me too.

Until they get more development time and stabilization on 64bit architecture, im going 32bit all the way...

4. xidica

xidica Well-Known Member

well you have to understand that a lot of it has to do with perl, and also their binaries....64 bit system with all packages installed from source as opposed to precompiled binaries is the way to go...(if you dont need the machine to be using a control panel)....it's obviously not a problem with the opteron itself of course :D

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'm not aware of any 64bit problems for cPanel itself and if you find any you should log them through bugzilla. I am aware of many many issues with the 64bit and 32bit libraries on the 64 bit Linux OS that have nothing to do with cPanel and which you will run into and have to resolve by hand - it's one of the biggest failings of the 64bit OS in linux. A good example is the perl modules that xidica highlights.