The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

64 Bit WHM Update Error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Greczkows, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Scott Greczkows

Scott Greczkows Well-Known Member

I am on FreeBSD 7 running 64 bit. Noticed something intersting in my WHM updates...

Why is it trying to make a 32-bit binary on a 64-bit system? How do I fix this?

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Please note that it is perfectly normal for a 64-bit FreeBSD system to still support compiling 32-bit code. For the time being this may be safe to ignore on AMD64 FreeBSD systems. If you experience any specific issues and suspect it is related, please submit a ticket so we can investigate further.

To address the issue we have an active internal case regarding an update to the "checkccompiler" script. Internal case ID: #33173

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That is a simple compiler check and does not indicate something is actually wrong. The test is incompatible at this time with FreeBSD AMD64 systems.

4. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Per your question and also attention directed back to the first user's reply comment above who is absolutely correct ...

64 bit systems use both 32 bit and 64 bit libraries and may have mixed code in place and / or compile 64 bit native support from a 32 bit base and this is not uncommon and seeing this happen is 100% perfectly normal.

I would not concern yourself much unless you notice something broken or missing from your server.

Now with that said, it should be noted that most all data centers with the exceptions of a very few have really bad default install images for new servers and often forget to include necessary libraries, modules, and system components without which your server might still work but may run into problems or find itself having to adapt such as finding alternate 32 bit library where a 64 bit library would have been available had your server been setup correctly with the correct resources.

The above is something I can definitely help you with. No matter what I do for any client small or large, one of the very first things I almost always look at is the status of the system, libraries, and compiler build environment as this is an area that is almost always lacking and needing attention no matter where you purchased your server from and no Cpanel's installer and updates do not adequately address these items though installing Cpanel alone can sometimes take what what would be an otherwise broken server and make it "mostly" functional. ;)

Now regarding your comment about running FreeBSD 7 64 bit, this will indeed actually work but is really not the most ideal choice for running Cpanel. Actually I would lean away from BSD with Cpanel, though officially supported and irregardless of whether it is 32 or 64 bit, just as it tends to be a little more touchy and significantly more problem prone where as it comes to talking about specifically using it as your base with Cpanel installed.

#4 Spiral, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009