The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

64bit - gcc fails to install

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by soundguy, Jan 12, 2009.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I've been using cPanel for half a decade, but always on 32-bit OSes. I just did my first install on 64-bit CentOS 5.2 and things went pretty well until the end, where it threw the error:

"Could not install gcc, please check your package manager! at ./install line 488."

...and then dropped to the prompt. Not sure if the install was completely finished or not. I installed GCC it myself by doing a yum -y install gcc which seemed to work perfectly, so I don't know what the cPanel install script was whining about.

Anyone else seen this (or any other odd errors) on a 64-bit install. I'm going to keep plugging away to see what else happens. I'd like to start using 64-bit on all my new machines but it really doesn't seem like it's ready for prime time yet. I don't have the time to deal with a bunch of missing stuff. Might just go with 32-bit PAE if this is going to be a big hassle.

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What was installed on the server before installing cPanel ? In particular the RPM Groups.

3. soundguy

PartnerNOC

Nothing. I always start with a minimal Centos installation and let cPanel install everything.

4. hightekhosting

hightekhosting Active Member

We've noticed this too as of late and too had to install GCC via YUM

We've never had the issue in the past but it's nothing major for us, because we now check and install GCC before starting a cPanel install :)

Cheers,

Dale

5. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The problem was traced to a dependency issue. gcc requires glibc-devel, which requires kernel-headers but for some reason the kernel-headers dependency was unresolvable.

Work arounds for now include:

1. Install gcc before installing cPanel; or
    2. Install kernel-headers manually

6. soundguy

PartnerNOC

I reran the cPanel install after manually installing GCC and everything seems to be working as expected. No other surprises.

7. aldesha989

aldesha989 Member

this problem hapen with me but i have fix with this
    PHP:
    yum -y install gcc*

8. soundguy

PartnerNOC

Just put together another CentOS 5.2 64-bit installation and cPanel is still failing. Looks like someone's been working on it because the errors are different this time:

Installing compilers and ssl libraries...+........+..............................................++Could not automatically install gcc. The GNU C compiler is required for a successful cPanel installation.
    gcc often fails to install due to missing dependencies such as a required update of the kernel-headers.
    cPanel specifically excludes kernel updates and this may have prevented the gcc installation.

The installer will attempt once more to install gcc by allowing updates of the system kernel.
    To cancel this update, type Ctrl-C now!!

Waiting for 45 seconds before proceeding.
    +++........+.Could not install gcc, please check your package manager! at ./install line 503

Once again, I installed GCC with YUM and then restarted the installation, which subsequently worked fine.