The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

768 MB VPS with cPanel enough for how many sites?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by webmister, Jan 20, 2011.

1. webmister

webmister Registered

I know the minimum RAM is 512 MB. But the requirement page says it is not enough for a large number of sites or domains.

But if I have 768 MB of RAM, (approx.) how many sites or domains can be hosted with cPanel?

I won't be hosting more than 20 sites/domains, is 768 MB RAM with cPanel enough for it?

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It depends entirely on what type of sites you will host. There is no easy answer. If you host only static sites with HTML pages and simple images, you could host hundreds of sites. However, if you host sites that use scripting heavily, make extensive uses of databases, and do on-the-fly image conversion, you will not be able to host as many sites without performance suffering. In fact, a single dynamic, interactive, database-driven site that becomes popular could fully utilize the resources and reduce the performance of your VPS.

There is just no way to give a generic answer to this. Even if you host only 20 sites, just one of those sites could use more resources than your VPS has been allocated. However, if all of the sites only use static HTML, with little to no scripting, you could host hundreds of sites without a problem. It comes down to what type of sites you will host and what resources they will demand.

3. webmister

webmister Registered

Thanks. My dynamic sites don't get more than 500 page views per day, so I guess 10 number of such sites will not be a problem on 768 MB of RAM with cPanel installed.

4. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If traffic is spread around the clock, then there should, i repeat should be no issues but there is no guarantee. Real world can come up with surprises any day. Best of luck!