The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

80% Bandwidth Warning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ckh, May 12, 2005.

1. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    FreeBSD 5.1 cPanel 10.2.0 R82

Last nite on one of the accounts, the bandwidth email started going out. This is a new account so I'm not sure if it's going to be a problem with the recent cPanel update or the account. I checked the account and it used 41% of it's bandwidth, not the 80% that it is saying it used.

I tried modifying the bandwidth, not actually changing it but viewing the limit and saving it thinking that may reset something, but, my concern is that when the other accounts reach 40%, the message will start going out then too thinking that a variable is messed up as $0% is half of 80%.

Anyone else having this problem or any suggestions where to take a look??

Thanks
    Chris

2. pshepperd

pshepperd Well-Known Member

It might have actually used the bandwidth, but not yet be showing it. What exactly are you looking at?

3. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Looking at the WHM View Bandwidth Usage. I checked it last nite, it said 41% and checked this morning and it said 42%

However, when I log into their cpanel account and view the bandwidth, the bandwidth shows 82% usage but the rest of the stats show normally and the view for the month shows 41%, not the 82% shown when you first view the bandwidth usage..

Seems to limited to the one account, all the rest that I checked are normal.

4. ZapX.net

ZapX.net Well-Known Member

Have you made any changes with the domain of that account, etc? I've had this problem before when changing an account's domain.

5. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I had hosted this domain in 2004 and they moved to another host in December. They came back this month so I added it again. That did cause some problems and I had to create the dns zone manually. The username is different from what it was.

cPanel reports exactly double the bytes transferred. Viewing the bandwidth in stats shows double the percentage of used bytes and again double the bytes used, however, if you click on the month, it shows the total bytes correctly.

6. ZapX.net

Hi,

Here is what I did when this happened to me.

1. Log into SSH as root
    2. Change to /var/cpanel/users
    3. Open up the file named after the username.
    4. In that file you may find some lines saying XDNS; I did in my case anyway. comment these out by preceding them with a # symbol
    5. Save and exit

This situation is a bit different, but this solved my issue.

Hope it helps

7. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    That was the problem!!!!

The file had the domain listed twice, IE:

DNS=domain.com
    DNS2=domain.com

I removed the dns2 and everything is showing normally now.

Thanks!!!!

8. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I've just checked the files in /var/cpanel/users and some have duplicates of domain names in them. Its not causing a problem yet but I'd better get on and delete them.

However I'd just like to check whether anyone knows if the numbering is important. For example there is one account that has something like the following listed:

DNS1=example.com
    DNS2=example.com
    DNS3=sub1.example.com
    DNS4=sub2.example.com
    DNS5=sub3.example.com

In the above example if I were to remove the second domain listed, that is the duplicate of example.com, I'd be left with:

DNS1=example.com
    DNS3=sub1.example.com
    DNS4=sub2.example.com
    DNS5=sub3.example.com

Would the numbering, i.e. DNS1 and then DNS3, DNS4 and DNS5, be important? With DNS2 missing would DNS3, 4 and 5 still be OK? Or should I edit things so that I end up with:

DNS1=example.com
    DNS2=sub1.example.com
    DNS3=sub2.example.com
    DNS4=sub3.example.com

Additionally, it is completely safe to delete XDNS enties? I assume so, but you never know. Some accounts have a fair few XDNS entries from subdomains that were once around but then removed many moons ago. This tends to make viewing bandwidth usage in WHM a bit annoying in some cases and it would be nice to tidy things up.

9. ZapX.net

hi,

I can't answer the first question, but I have removed xdns entries without issue.