$_userdelivery defer (-9): failed to lock

joana

Sep 29, 2001
I've got many complaints from users about emails they send and it takes time to get to their mail box.. sometime it takes hours to recieve an email..

exim_mainlog shows
$_userdelivery defer (-9): failed to lock mailbox /home/user/mail/user/inbox (lock file)

What does that mean? anyway to fix it?

JustinK

Sep 4, 2001
This seems to have started up on out of our servers as well and I can't seem to figure out how to stop it. Permissions all appear to be correct... Did you happen to find a fix for yours?

joana

Sep 29, 2001
[quote:acc337aa67][i:acc337aa67]Originally posted by JustinK[/i:acc337aa67]

Did you happen to find a fix for yours?[/quote:acc337aa67]

No, nothing ..

JustinK

Sep 4, 2001
Our problem with it may be with the software the user was using to check e-mail (JBMail). When the mail program was open it kept a connection open with the server, thus keeping the inbox.lock file in place and not allowing the new mail to get put anywhere other than the mail queue.

It's still just a theory though. I recommended the client try MailWasher instead and we'll see how that goes.

morris

Dec 4, 2002
Terrible

There are terrible problems with this. Nothing to do with JBMail. I have accounts with 3 hosts with Cpanel/Exim and it seems that it is a random problem, not always with every pop and is getting worse. I simply cannot track why sometimes the emails delayed and why sometimes immediate. There MUST be a reason.

B

bdraco

run /scripts/mailperm to make sure all permisions and ownerships are correct.

JustinK

Sep 4, 2001
Will try the mail permissions, but so far everything looks correct. Also, it wasn't JBMail causing the issue. It seems the lock file just doesn't want to disappear immediately.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z General Discussion 2