The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a basic question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ljwhite, Apr 6, 2006.

1. ljwhite

ljwhite Well-Known Member

Sometime when i ping domain.com, i can get the reponse. But i can not view it through internet explorer. What is the reason? Many thanks in advance.

2. asish

asish Active Member

This is coz apache is not working properly on the server. Please check whether apache is working properly on the server.
    If apaache is working and if your virtualhost entries are not setup, you will get a basic CPanel page or any index.html page your webhosting provides puts.
    Once if the entries are set up correctly, then page will be shown correctly

3. ljwhite

Thanks for your help. If i ping domain.com, i can get response, does that mean the physical connection is good?

4. maximus_marcus

maximus_marcus Well-Known Member

Hello,

The ping command has nothing to with the connection. It helps to find us whether the host is working or not. It sends out a request to it and then if it is working it gives in an acknowledgement. It helps us to also know the packet loss if any .

Let me know if you need anything with this as I will be glad to help with it . thank you

5. ljwhite

Thanks for your help. When i ping www.giftshop.com, i can get response from it. So it means it is working. But i can not view it through IE. What is the problem? You can ping www.giftshop.com by yourself.

6. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

There could be a multitude of issues here.

A ping request merely sends an ICMP packet to the specified host, either using TCP from a Windows machine and possibly UDP on more recent Linux implementations.

A ping will only tell you that the give host responds to ICMP packets and doesn't even really tell you whether it responds to TCP, UDP or both. You can only really say that the given host is responding to ICMP packets, nothing more.

IE will be trying to connect to the given host on port 80. A successful ping test says nothing about the availabilty of port 80.

Consider the following:

- Is port 80 open on the host server?
    - Is Apache running correctly?
    - Are there any possible local and remote firewall issues?

7. maximus_marcus

Hello ,

Try checking to see if you are able to access the site from the server. Use the command on the server to see if you are able to access the site.

Eg: lynx domainname.com

Try to see if it works . Try using another browser also for instance. Let me know the progress on this . Thank you

8. ljwhite

Thanks for your help. Actually I do not have permission to log in server. When i use "whois" to get some information about this website(www.giftshop.com), i get the below informaion:
    Domain Name: GIFTSHOP.COM
    Registrar: ATCOM TECHNOLOGY LLC
    Whois Server: whois.atcomtechnology.com
    Referral URL: http://www.atcomtechnology.com
    Name Server: MAG2.MAGMACOM.COM
    Name Server: TRUDEAU.UNITEDSTATES.COM
    Updated Date: 21-apr-2005
    Creation Date: 20-may-1997
    Expiration Date: 21-may-2006
    Here it is said "Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK", Could this be the reason that i can not view this website?

9. maximus_marcus

Hello ,

Try contacting your hosts and then have them checked on the server as it needs to be also looked up from there.