A Beginner's Guide to Securing Your Server

ctbhost

May 31, 2002
rs-freddo said:
/dev/shm should be empty.

I believe it is ram memory, anyway should be empty. Somebody with more knowledge might be able to tell you more.
yep maybe the case - i rebooted the server and /dev/shm is now empty :D

rs-freddo

May 13, 2003
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
/dev/shm can be used like /tmp as a place to run an install from. You now have to check that they did not in fact install an eggdrop somewhere on the server. I would have checked the config file before deleting it....

Anyway, they can now load stuff to /dev/shm/ so you need to find the vulnerable script that's being used to do that...

ctbhost

May 31, 2002
rs-freddo said:
I would have checked the config file before deleting it....

Anyway, they can now load stuff to /dev/shm/ so you need to find the vulnerable script that's being used to do that...
i was going to look ast the files but i couldnt access any files in /dev/shm/

i had some suspicious files in /tmp/ and deleted them the other day so i think that was what they installed - but im keeping an eye on things.

BTW this is a fantastic thread - lots of simple to understand information - will be great for newbys -- i know when i was a newby i would see threads say things like wget bla bla bla - then install it - but no instructions on how to install it, that was frustrating :D

eth00

PartnerNOC
Mar 30, 2003
NC
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
If you look at my guide I go over how to secure the /tmp and shm paritions. You should go ahead and look at it to make /tmp noexec. To fix shm change the mount line in /etc/fstab.

Old:
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

New:
none /dev/shm tmpfs noexec,nosuid 0 0

Yes it is a memory error but there are people that are using it to exploit servers along with /tmp. It is not as common but definatly something that everybody should secure. After you modify the line just unmount /dev/shm and mount /dev/shm and you are secure =-)

ctbhost

May 31, 2002
thanks - have been through your info and just recieved an email from rkhunter

----------------------------------------------------------------------
[ BAD ]
[ Warning! ]
Watch out Root login possible. Possible risk!
* MD5 scan
MD5 compared : 80
Incorrect MD5 checksums : 1

* File scan
Scanned files: 310
Possible infected files: 0

* Rootkits
Possible rootkits:

Scanning took 52 seconds

*important*
Scan your system sometimes manually with full output enabled!
Some errors has been found while checking. Please perform a manual check on this machine *********
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i did a manual scan s it recommended and the problems it shows up are as follows

Found /etc/ssh/sshd_config
Checking for allowed root login... Watch out Root login possible. Possible risk!
Hint: see logfile for more information

Checking /etc/xinetd.conf [ Warning! ]

/usr/sbin/kudzu [ BAD ]

What logfile would i check ????
i was still logged in as root when i got this email so is it just detecting my login??? or another unauthorised login ??

Ishware

Nov 7, 2003
Williamsburg, VA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Brilliant cache of info - as a complete server n00b, this is great stuff.

I have read maybe 2/3 of it at least elsewhere, so having all in one place is great.

BUT...

It would be really really cool if anytime that information appeared, a little warning could be added to the section on limiting SSH to odd port and odd IP addy:

"WARNING: If you have previously installed a firewall and locked down your ports, FIRST go open up the port you want to change SSH to BEFORE you modify the SSH files!"

As soon as I did it -- I'm 99.999% sure that's what I did, b/c I previously installed firewall before... and locked down ports.

ARGH...

But again, I stress, fantastic lot of info there. I'm going to be going through it again once I can...

HappymanUK

May 3, 2003
On running the Scan for Trojans, it came back with the following.

Are these all genuine, or may any of them be trojans ??

Trojan Scanner
Main >> Security >> Scan for Trojan Horses
Appears Clean

/dev/stderr

Possible Trojan - /usr/bin/annotate
Possible Trojan - /usr/bin/gdlib-config
Possible Trojan - /usr/bin/xml2-config
Possible Trojan - /usr/lib/libxml2.la
Possible Trojan - /usr/bin/curl
Possible Trojan - /usr/lib/libgd.so.2.0.0
Possible Trojan - /usr/bin/xmlcatalog
Possible Trojan - /usr/bin/xmllint
Possible Trojan - /sbin/depmod
Possible Trojan - /sbin/generate-modprobe.conf
Possible Trojan - /sbin/insmod
Possible Trojan - /sbin/insmod.static
Possible Trojan - /sbin/modinfo
Possible Trojan - /sbin/modprobe
Possible Trojan - /sbin/rmmod
Possible Trojan - /usr/bin/pear
Possible Trojan - /usr/bin/xsltproc
Possible Trojan - /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.la
Possible Trojan - /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.so
Possible Trojan - /usr/bin/Magick-config
Possible Trojan - /usr/lib/libMagick.la

21 POSSIBLE Trojans Detected

Thanks
Daniel

amal

Nov 22, 2003
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
What is the use of /dev/shm????

I have disabled /dev/shm from all my servers. And I have been doing it for months.. I have never experienced any problems without it...

I removed the lines that mounted /dev/shm, and unmounted the currently mounted /dev/shm...

amal

Nov 22, 2003
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Why I disabled /dev/shm

The reason why I did that was even if the noexec can prevent scripts from running using ./ , it won't prevent scripts run using perl, for eg:-
perl udp.pl

dezignguy

Sep 26, 2004
/dev/shm is the filesystem that supports POSIX shared memory. It supports calls like shm_open() and shm_unlink(). This provides a consistent filesystem interface to shared memory, as opposed to the System V IPC which relies on the communicating processes to agree on a common protocol to generate the same key so they all access the same piece of shared memory (eg: ftok()). POSIX shared mem does away with all that mess. Now you create and use shared memory objects as if they are file system entities.
I don't know exactly what breaks if you disable it... I know that's not POSIX compliant though... so you may not be able to run some POSIX programs after you remove it. But that may only affect some custom/commercial programs.

I just locked it down in a similar manner as /tmp itself... but left it there.

RandyO

Jun 17, 2003
benito said:
Hi!

Just a question, BFD automatically restart on every server reboot ?
BFD runs as a cron job, not a service

NOTE: on the root logon notification, I might suggest that you use a remote mail address. Using a mail account located on the same server is probably not the best idea....

HH-Steven

Aug 29, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Just a couple of corrections so that people are aware :

At command prompt type: cd apf-0.9.4-6
Current version is now apf-0.9.4-7

so you will need to use :

Code:
[b]cd apf-0.9.4-7[/b]
:::::::::::::::::::::::

At command prompt type: cd bfd-0.4
Current version is now bfd-0.5

so you will need to use :

Code:
[b]cd bfd-0.5[/b]

And thankyou for an excellent guide 000000000

eth00

PartnerNOC
Mar 30, 2003
NC
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
/dev/shm is part of how your system handles virtual memory. Though I am unsure of what can break using it I do not think it is the best idea to totaly disable it. Occasionaly crackers will try to upload and execute a script from /dev/shm. In the past few months it seems most of them have moved to using perl to execute the exploits though.

juba

Mar 4, 2004
did this :)

I did this of sending me an email when somebody logs in the server but I got this today:

ALERT - Root Shell Access on: Sat Jan 15 01:04:40 CST 2005

What does this mean? Because there is no ip address or any other info, I tried it yesterday and it worked well, thanks for the help,

amal

Nov 22, 2003
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
eth00 said:
/dev/shm is part of how your system handles virtual memory. Though I am unsure of what can break using it I do not think it is the best idea to totaly disable it. Occasionaly crackers will try to upload and execute a script from /dev/shm. In the past few months it seems most of them have moved to using perl to execute the exploits though.
I have disabled it on about 200 servers and have never faced a problem with any of the users on any of those servers. And I have been doing it this way for about an year....
:)

SuperBaby

Nov 27, 2003
Thailand
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Twitter
Also check for:

locate irc
locate eggdrop
locate bnc
locate BNC
locate ptlink
locate BitchX
locate guardservices
locate psyBNC
locate .rhosts
You didn't explain what to observe for the above? I tested tha above and almost all of them showed me a long list of files. Is that good or bad? Are you supposed to get something?

RandyO

Jun 17, 2003
juba said:
I did this of sending me an email when somebody logs in the server but I got this today:

ALERT - Root Shell Access on: Sat Jan 15 01:04:40 CST 2005

What does this mean? Because there is no ip address or any other info, I tried it yesterday and it worked well, thanks for the help,
I get those without an IP when I use WINSCP and access via root. any shell logons I always get an IP back. Not sure why SFTP does not. If you are not using SFTP or something like it, it could indicate a logon from the console itself. As it would be a local logon, it might not log 127.0.0.1

juba

Mar 4, 2004
Would that be any update going on? Because it happens every day but it keeps on moving like 3 to 4 hours later, lets say first time 12am , next day 3am, next day 7 am and so on, thanks,