The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a BIG problam, NOT bug, but very important, about Disk Quota.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jedia, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Jedia

Jedia Well-Known Member

Hello all, this is a big problam. all user's files in /home/usrname , yes, some files will be count into uses quotas, but this files was group and users by this user, i am sorry about my english, like:
    all group by and user by this user will be count into user's quota, but somefiles Create by apache, like cache, or the other files, their group and use all by nobody, this files was NOT count into user's quota. like some files:
    this files was NOT be count into user's quota. i have 2 users running big forums, and create a lot of caches, this caches may take > 50MB disk spaces, but not count into user's quota.
    please have a test, you will know what i'am talking about ;) Thanks and sorry about my english.

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Chances are these files owned by nobody are being created by php files. As php defaults to a "php as an apache module" it runs as the same user as apache. The only way around this is to use php as a cgi. If you re-configure your apache install to include phpsuexec you will resolve this issue as the php scripts will now be run by the user and not apache.

Make sure to research phpsuexec option before going ahead and implementing it of course. A lot of people have been detered from phpsuexec because of their own lack of knowledge on how the system works and fixing permissions and whatnot.

A quick fix to replace the files to the correct owner ( might cause problem with the php scripts, possibly ) is to run /scripts/chownpublichtmls from shell as root.

3. Jedia

Jedia Well-Known Member

thanks, but running in phpsuexec , PHP as CGI mode with APACHE, does'nt it?
    and i think PHP running as CGI mode with APACHE not good~

#3 Jedia, Nov 30, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I run all my servers through phpsuexec without issues. As haze said, so long as you understand the implications, it is far far better from a security POV as well as for simple things like quotas.