The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[a fatal error or timeout occurred while processing this directive]

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ddmobley, May 5, 2010.

1. ddmobley

ddmobley Member

We have one client with multiple employees and occassionally, one employee has problems getting email. While checking their Constant Contact account, which keeps track of bounced mail for 90 days, they noticed the problematic employ with three month's of bounces with reason listed as "Non-existent account".

This client has seven email accounts, two of which pile up a lot of mail in their inboxs, one of which was the account having problems getting mail with the non-existent account message. I suggested the user moving some of the emails from the server to their local machine if she truly wanted to save them. That did not solve the problem.

On our WHM we have ConfigServer Mail Manage, so I went poking around in the accounts there, and any time I tried to change the user's quota, I got the error message:

[a fatal error or timeout occurred while processing this directive]

It would change the quota, but the error message showed up every time. I tried the action on the other mail boxes, and got no error messages except on the OTHER account that had a ton of mail in their inbox.

I logged into the client's Cpanel and went into the Mail Accounts, where I tried to change quota there, and was rewarded with the error message:

invalid maildir size

A Google search said the first error message was "a Cpanel bug." Another post here said to check "/usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log" to see what was being reported. This is what I saw:

A Google search for "Invalid maildirsize file! at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Email/Maildir.pm line 97" found one Spanish site with an answer:

warn [cpanel] Error while updating maildirsize file for ... | rm-rf.es

I renamed the maildirsize file for the account, then tried to change the quota again in ConfigServer Mail Manage and it changed without a problem. Same for the other user whose account was displaying the error message.

I am posting this to help anyone else who may get the "[a fatal error or timeout occurred while processing this directive]" or "invalid maildir size" error messages and can't find an answer. Simply deleting or renaming the file will generate a new one and the account should work correctly again.

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

That's a nice writeup, thank you. You can also regenerate (fix) all maildirsize files on the server, or for a specific account, by using /scripts/generate_maildirsize

3. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Based on what you posted, I would run the following:
    Code:
    # /scripts/upcp --force
    # cpan
    cpan>  install CPAN
    cpan>  reload CPAN
    cpan>  quit
    # /scripts/checkperlmodules
    # /scripts/generate_maildirsize

If you are still receiving these messages, click on them:
    (It should give you a bit more details on what is broken / missing)

4. graham_w

graham_w Well-Known Member

Thanks for this - helped me greatly!