The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a few DNSOnly questions.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by stan01, Jul 9, 2009.

1. stan01

stan01 Member

Hi there,

I am fairly familiar with cpanel/WHM, but its my first time working with DNS only and have some questions.

What I have is:

two registered nameservers:

ns1.server.com
    ns2.server.com

Both are at the moment hostnames for two VPSes.

15 other servers, which have hostnames as:

serv1.server.com
    serv2.server.com
    serv3.server.com
    serv15.server.com

All are running CentOS 5.3
    All servXX machines have NSD running.

Now, what I've done is install DNSonly on only ns1.server.com (for now). I will install it on ns2 in a few hours.

What I've done is configure clustering by following the guide at:
    ConfigureCluster < AllDocumentation/WHMDocs < TWiki

and in /etc/resolv.conf I've added the IPs for ns1 and ns2, it unfortunately not working. When I try to lookup a domain name it fails:

I can however successfully telnet at port 53 on both IPs, which means, that BIND on both is working.

Another question I have is does it matter on which end do I configure clustering. Should I add the IPs for ns1 and ns2 on each machine (serv1 trough serv15) or should it be the other way around -- add the IPs for each machine (serv1 trough serv15) in the WHM of ns1 and ns2? Or does it make no difference?

Third question is -- when I set dns Role to synchronize changes on both ends, should each machine (serv1 trough serv15) still run NSD/BIND or should I disable it? I saw this questions in a few threads in the forum, but none of them had an answer.

Last but not least -- if you can summarize the answer to my questions above in just a couple of sentences, I'll be happy to start over and follow your instructions.

Thanks very much in advance.

2. angitha

angitha Member

Well!!! I guess the problem is with nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf. Try changing it.