The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A general question for the cPanel forum community...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TogaDave, Feb 11, 2005.

1. TogaDave

TogaDave Well-Known Member

I've been using this forum for about 2 years now, and I mostly just search and read existing posts to learn more, and I occasionally ask for help here. The reason I don't really contribute back by trying to help answer other people's questions is that I feel a bit under-qualified, and even when I think I know the answer to someone else's problem, I'm afraid to answer in case I am wrong. I'm afraid I'll give them the wrong advice, and I'd hate to mess up someone's hosting for them. I'm always grateful for the information I receive here, but I feel a little "guilty" that I'm not giving back as much as I get from this forum.

So my question is - do you more experienced / more frequent posters get irritated by those of us who seem to only ask questions and never seem to contribute much? Or are there only certain types of posts that bother you? I'm just curious to know...
    Dave

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

It doesn't bother me if someone asks questions and doesn't answer any. My first several months here I was only asking questions. I started answering some when I saw ones I knew the answer to and as time went on, (too fast BTW ;) ), my knowledge increased and I was able to help with more answering, but I still ask questions now and then.

As far as what bothers me here, it's:

- questions asked that have been asked 100 times before
    Sometimes the question is something that they will have no idea what to search for, but sometimes just searching the main words in their question will give them the answer.

- very basic questions by end users that their host should have told them
    That means the cheap hosting "companies" are offering cheap services by letting the rest of us handle their support.

- most annoying - people who ask for help, then get angry at others
    It's usually for either taking too long to answer, not understanding their question, or giving an answer they don't want to hear. Anyone who gets mad at those who do try to help won't get much future help.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I agree wholeheartedly with squirrel.

Doesn't bother me either. I'm happy to help. If you think you know an answer to someones question though, do feel free to post your thoughts. If you're uncertain at all, just qualify them a little ("you could try", "this has worked for me" "it might be this") if you would be more comfortable. Once you do start replying to people your confidence will grow.

Also, don't be deterred if your advise something and someone corrects you. Just learn from it and then you can help the (inevitable) next person that comes along and answers the same question.

One particular way to start is to focus on questions in an area where you feel confident (feel free to answer the New User Questions ;)).

4. ctbhost

ctbhost Well-Known Member

i have been a member of this forum for a while and mainly reading threads and asking the occasional question, i have learnt a great deal from these forums and i am now starting to reply where i am positive i am correct ( hopefully :) )

its all a learning curve you will learn and eventually you will be able to assist others

What goes around - comes around :) :D