The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED A large number of "Out of memory warnings" System messages

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alrissa, Dec 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Alrissa

Alrissa Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This one is a one off that I rarely see but I was curious how hard would it be to throttle the number of emails cpanel can actually send?

I had a server owner get 1500 emails in a few minutes, all for this same warning.

In this case it's a server with 32GB or ram and it's jumping the shark on memory use. (It had 8GB free while it was doing this >.>

I was just wondering if I missed a feature somewhere.

It'd be nice if there was a setting that went "did cpanel send a system message in the last 5 minutes? Let's not send another then"

How hard would be to implement something like this?

2. Alrissa

Alrissa Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I can't seem to edit my post. Probably because I'm a new user and have to be reviewed by a mod. Testing if reply works (Edit: it does. I'll edit the opening post to be more coherent later)

For now I'll just leave this here. The actual memory issue was fixed* but left me aware that cpanel sends out an email for each process killed regardless of how many.

To just stop the messages one can go to tweak settings, search oom, set Out of memory warnings” from “On” to “Off”

If you want to get just one message when memory issues are happening then you are out of luck**. I don't remember seeing this mentioned in feature requests or anything. I was mainly curious regarding hw difficult it would be to set something like a system message limit.

*oom behavior needed adjustment
    **Setting up a cron to monitor memory usage is possible but not covered by cpanel. I may add or link to a nice guide later when I'm not at work. :)

#2 Alrissa, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Chkservd shouldn't send the send the OOM notifications at this frequency. You should see 5-10 minutes between each email. Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look to see what happened? You can post the ticket number here and we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

4. Alrissa

Alrissa Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for responding but it's not really a major issue and it hasn't been recurring since. (And the logs rotated while I was on my mini-vacation so it wouldn't be very helpfull)

If I do encounter it again I'll open a ticket.

cPanelMichael likes this.