The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A-List or A-Record

Discussion in 'Security' started by alferdos, May 2, 2012.

1. alferdos

alferdos Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello there,
    Can you please inform me how to make the SSL certificate work for both www.domain.com and domain.com at the same time? is it better to have it for www.domain.com or for domain.com?

I have been told that it is good idea to make an A-record from the DNS area, I am not sure how to do that. From DNS I clicked on Add an A entry to your hostname and I received this message

Adding an A entry for your hostname

Adding A Entry...Bind reloading on vdc using rndc zone: [xxxx.com]
    ...Done

I appreciate your help.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Most SSL providers provide a certificate that will work for domain.com and www.domain.com so you'd simply have to ask the SSL provider before purchasing the SSL if they do that. If they do not, move onto another SSL provider who does. I know GoDaddy specifically provides both www and non-www support for domain-level SSLs, but I do not know for the other SSL providers.

As for the DNS, you'd add the entry for your nameservers in WHM > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup, then click on "Add an A entry for this nameserver" next to the nameserver.

The hostname option differs from the nameserver one. The action you performed added a DNS entry for the hostname (the name of the server). It would not have had any impact on the nameserver entries.

Thanks!

3. NixTree

NixTree Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Yes, most of the SSL certificates generated for www.domain.com should work fine for domain.com as well( for eg: rapidSSL ). But SSL for domain.com won't work for www.domain.com. So just ask your SSL provider and make this clear!

Thank you,
    Nibin.