The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little disturbing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ihsl, Apr 22, 2006.

1. ihsl

ihsl Registered

This post is in regards to the documentation changes that cPanel have recently introduced.

I find the changes quite disturbing. Prior to the recent change, the documentation was found on the server, per the cpanel license.

After the change, it is now as follows:
    User is directed to the cpanel.net website. This is the most disturbing. I do not like the idea of directing someone to a third party website for support (which the documentation link can be easily misinterpreted as). It is not part of our offering nor was it something I thought cpanel would slip by us. The documentation source is no longer server side and that creates many problems, not least the problem of users contacting us and asking why they are being sent to a third party web site for documentation.

In addition to the above, the documentation is no longer available in zip format for modification and/or branding. The new documentation found at cpanel.net is nice, but the fact that it is only available at the main website is nonsensical.

I know that the PDF version is open for editing, but this is not the norm. We use robohelp to publish our help documents and no longer have the html base to work from.

An added note: I have contacted support in a hope to attain the documentation, but this post would still be relevant. I am quite sure many companies are in the same boat as we are, with regards to the new documentation.

Simon

#1 ihsl, Apr 22, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  2. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Try using "wget -r http://documentation.cpanel.net/" to download it onto your server, then run the doco from there. If you don't like doing that, use a frame to hide the cpanel.net site.

Also, can you use descriptive topic headings in forums please, it's "A little annoying" to have to look at a topic with a vague description like "A little disturbing" to find out what it's about!! This is a plea to everyone, not just the Original Poster ....

3. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

And if you choose to do so, make sure you make it very (very very) clear that the content is being sourced from cpanel.net and that it is not your own.

4. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I had asked approx a yr ago about doing a rewrite rule to include the cpanel docs in our web site but never did get a official answer on it

5. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ahhh .. good point, thanks for including that!

6. ihsl

ihsl Registered

My point is that we shouldn't be having to find weird and wonderful ways around this problem. The documentation has always been available for download in the past, in adition to being server side.

Of all the control panels we deal with, cpanel is now the only one not to provide downloadable and brandable documentation. This was not the case in the past; cpanel used to have the downloadable zip files available, which we literally needed in order to have our support centre at it's most effective.

I have priority phone call with cPanel tomorrow so hopefully this issue will be resolved for all companies using cpanel, not just us.

Simon