The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little offtopic question probably for programmers...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tomfra, Jul 13, 2003.

1. tomfra

tomfra Well-Known Member

I have a little bit "off-topic" question that is probably not directly related to Cpanel, but there seem to be many clever people frequenting this dboard so perhaps someone will be able to answer my question...

There is a "special" PHP anti-spam script ( no, it's not Spam Assasin ) installed on one of my domains, this script connects to email account number 1, checks if the email sender has been approved to send you emails and it also does a few other things, then it connects to account 2, account 3 and then again account 1 and so it cycles through all accounts on the server - or a particular domain name to be exact.

It works great but the problem is that if you have more accounts, let's say 50, the script needs some time to cycle through all accounts and for example if you have an email account number 1 and the script is checking account number 30, some spam emails may slip through because you download them through your pop3 email client before they could be checked by the anti-spam script.

Does it make sense so far? I need a solution that will ensure that it will be possible to download only those emails already checked by the anti-spam script.

Now I do not need this solution yet, but it might be necessary when the number of accounts grows. So far the script successfully blocks over 97% of all spam emails so this problem is not a serious one for me, yet...

This is probably a question for programmers I believe. Or if there is a way how to automatically mark all incoming emails as read / seen on the server level ( and instruct the pop3 server ) and mark them as unread / unseen only after they were checked by the anti-spam script or something similar, please let me know.

Any ideas how to solve this puzzle are welcome.

Thanks, I know my question is somewhat offtopic...

Tomas

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Wouldn't it be more appropriate to direct this question to the programmer of that "special" PHP anti-spam script?

There are so many variables involved, no one can give a decent answer without being familiar with that script.

3. tomfra

tomfra Well-Known Member

Of course I will contact the programmer about this problem too but what I wanted to know is if it is technically possible from the 'server software' point of view so that I could give him as much info as possible.

For example what I am not sure about is if there is a way Exim can automatically mark all messages as read / seen by default.

Thanks.

Tomas

4. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Off-hand I would say, No -- but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

Exim, and other MTA software, is designed to send/place eMail, from here to there. Anything after that requires a 3rd party addition, which is why I had mentioned to contact the script creator. The 'feature' you are looking for, cannot be done be Exim, but the PHP anti-spam script you use, might be adapted to include that feature.