The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A mail forward feature

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by Phillyguy, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Phillyguy

Phillyguy Registered
    PartnerNOC

I don't know if this is the correct place to recommend this but how about adding a feature to cpanel/WHM which will allow root (via WHM) to disallow certain domains from having the cpanel email forwarder set to them? As an example you could disallow the aol.com domain using this feature and then users could no longer use the forward email feature in cpanel to forward their hosting account email to an aol.com email address. This would solve some of the aol blacklisting issues where users are forwarding email to their AOL accounts and then marking the mail as spam.

I don't know how hard it would be but it sure would be helpful. Maybe even have a dynamic error message announcing that aol.com email accounts (or whatever domain root blocks from the forward feature) can't be forwarded email via the cpanel feature (like when the user tries to set it up).

Thanks.

2. richy

richy Well-Known Member

You could do what we've done an modified the /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/x/mail/fwds.html screen to state forwarding emails to AOL.com email addresses is not acceptable (we've actually created our own custom theme to prevent that file from being overwritten). In a month or two's time, we're going to setup a cronjob to check the fowarders file in /etc/ (I can't remember exactly what it's called) and /home/*/etc/* and remove any forwarders setup to AOL addresses.

Admittedly, it would be "real neat" if cPanel could have an option such as "Prevent forwarding of email to the following addresses: (wildcards accepted)".... If you log this request in Bugzilla (if it's not there already), let me know and I'll happily vote on it!

3. electric

electric Well-Known Member