Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

A message that you sent could not be delivered

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by zalocus, Nov 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. zalocus

zalocus Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hello i send some test mails from my in cPanel created account, and i get from some of these a error that the mail cannot be delivered. outlook, gmx, gmail and others!

I click on a Link in one error mail to found out what is the problem and there stands:

5xy Bad DNS PTR resource record
    Emails from your email server were rejected because the PTR Resource Record (PTR-RR) of your IP address does not follow our guidelines. Possible reasons for this can be:

• The PTR-RR states that the IP address was dynamically allocated.
    • The PTR-RR is a generic standard entry of your provider. Please allocate an independent and fully qualified domain name (Fully Qualified Domain Name - FQDN) to your email server and enter the corresponding valid PTR-RR.
    • Individual rejection of the PTR-RR for system protection reasons. Please contact the administrator of your system who should then contact us.

Is my domain entrie maybe wrong configured? I hope anyone can help me.

#1 zalocus, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2017
  2. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 rpvw, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  3. SysSachin

SysSachin Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If you define the zone as "44.33.22.in-addr.arpa." (notice the dot at the end) then you don't have to specify the whole suffix in the zone file, you can put it simply as "55 IN PTR reverse.dn.record.com." (notice the dot at the end). You can, however, also use the extended form of "55.44.33.22.in-addr.arpa. 300 IN PTR www.dummy_domain.com." As about the A record pointing back to the IP, it is not a requirement but most likely no software will validate your reverse DNS if the A record is not there as well.

You need to have the nameservers for that reverse zone delegated to your DNS server by the provider of your IP addresses.

You can setup reverse DNS to any name you want, just that, most likely, you will also need the A record to point back to your IP.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator