The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

...A new self-signed certificate was installed to replace it.

Discussion in 'Security' started by Beatdemon, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Beatdemon

Beatdemon Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This morning (June 1) I began getting warning messages when trying to check email that our secure certificate was expired. Since everyone is connecting to SSL ports for email, everyone got the message when trying to do a send/receive and was prevented from doing so until I could reset the cert. This is the message I was sent from WHM:

"The SSL certificate for courier-imapd on server.domain.com expired. A new self-signed certificate was installed to replace it."

"The SSL certificate for courier-pop3d on server.domain.com expired. A new self-signed certificate was installed to replace it."

If you purchased the expired certificate from a certificate authority, you should replace the self-signed certificate as soon as possible. You can do this using WHM's "Manage Service SSL Certificates" interface: https://server.domain.com:2087/scripts2/manageservicecrts (Main >> Service Configuration >> Manage Service SSL Certificates)"

Why did this occur? We use a wildcard cert that doesn't expire until 2015 for all our services located in "Main >> Service Configuration >> Manage Service SSL Certificates" and only the mail related certs were reset by WHM, thankfully, but I would like to know if this can be prevented in the future.

Thanks,

Michael