The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question about DNS cluster setup

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by <esc>, May 18, 2007.

1. <esc>

<esc> Member

Hi,

I want to setup two VPS in a DNS cluster with two pairs of 'crossed-over' nameservers.

VPS1 should run

-> ns1.domain-A.com
    -> ns2.domain-B.com

And VPS2 vice versa:

-> ns1.domain-B.com
    -> ns2.domain-A.com

How would I do this? If I enter ns1.domain-A.com and ns2.domain-B.com under ‘Basic cPanel/WHM setup’ of VPS1, ns2.domain-B.com would get its IP from the IP pool of VPS1, whereas it should belong to VPS2. I see no option to set these IPs correctly. And obviously the zone records will be created wrongly as (ns1.domain-A.com, ns2.domain-B.com) instead of (ns1.domain-A.com, ns2.domain-A.com) on the first VPS (and the second respectively).

Any ideas or comments are appreciated!

Regards,

Erich

2. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It has been awhile since I did it, but when I did it seems like if you setup your nameservers at your registrar first and then when you click on "Add A Record" it will find the registered IP from the namserver to add your A record.

3. <esc>

<esc> Member

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your comments. Changing the IPs at the registrar first is no option for me as one nameserver pair runs under an Austrian ccTLD and NIC.at, the Austrian registrar, requires to have set up the nameserver IPs first before allowing any changes to the registry records.

Erich

4. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I do not know off hand then, I know WHM pulls it from the registrar if it is setup. I am sure it is in a conf file as well where you can manually add it.

5. ujr

ujr Well-Known Member

ns servers can be defined in /etc/nameserverips

6. <esc>

<esc> Member

Thank you folks for your suggestions. I’ve got it running on the same day I posted. It was quite easy and straight forward. For one of the nameserver pairs which is registered under .net the IPs were drawn from the registry. For the other one which is under .at I first changed the IPs manually at the servers and thereafter at the registry.

What me bothered was only that íf you display the setting under “WHM > Networking Setup > Nameserver IPs” they are shown wrongly. But this seems to be a bug in WHM’s display logic and not in the configuration setup. Everything is working perfectly including synchronization of the nameservers in the cluster. The different IPs are also applied correctly when creating a new account in WHM.

Erich