The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question about using the cPanel API

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by arooney, Nov 3, 2009.

1. arooney

arooney Registered

Hi,

I am a webmaster who has a client who wants to set up email forwarders. That's create a forwarder and delete a forwarder. All this through a php interface on a web page (this would be behind an admin log in)

We have use of the cPanel username and password on a domain that is part of shared hosting.

1. Is this possible using this Class?
    2. If so, how would I go about it. I have no experience with API at all.

I'll appreciate some hand holding here if that's possible.

cPanel Version is 11.24.5-RELEASE

EDIT: If this needs to go through WHM then I have access to that (installed on VPS). My client of course, doesn't have access

Many thanks,

John

#1 arooney, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  2. nettcom

nettcom Active Member

yes, of course, you can build this with this class using API1 AND API2

try reading this forum samples

3. arooney

arooney Registered

nettcom, many thanks for the reply but I'm none the wiser (sorry). Can you just be a little more specific as to what I have to do to accomplish these two tasks. I really have no idea. :confused:

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  5. arooney

arooney Registered

Many thanks for the reply. I have indeed been trawling through the threads on the forums before I posted but found them all coming from a basis that you're assumed to know a few basics (which I don't) so therefore a bit over my head. The link to the "integration" looks interesting so I shall give that a go. many thanks for the pointer. I'll be back if I need further assistance. Many thanks once again.

John

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    To be honest, that's a given around here on many things. "Assuming you know a few of the basics" If it's the basics themselves you're looking for, you will have a way to go to get done what you want. And these forums may not be the best place to learn programing with an API, IMHO of course.

Not sure this would be helpful to discuss in this particular thread though, we're trashing it here right now in fact. If you like we can separate yours (and mine) comments into it's own thread, you could then go into more exact details on what you're seeking and see where it leads you.

If it was me and I had a customer that wanted to do something like this, I'd ask him to put together his script and assist him in seeing if we could get it working. Not do his homework for him. Big ideas don't always pan or at the end of the day, even needed sometimes, you know? ;)

7. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I have broken off the comments to it's own thread.

8. arooney

arooney Registered

Thanks infopro, my own thread! now I do feel special :)

Just to clarify. It's me who needs the info, me who's doing the work. I build websites and the client is the person who want's the website. I'm working for him.

Because of this I have rented a VPS and then sub-rent the hosting but only to my clients. I can work my way around cPanel and WHM OK. It's just that in this case the client has a large membership (it's a church) and provide each member with an email forwarder. I'm just trying to set up the website so that each member can create his own forwarder (and delete if necessary) without constantly asking me to log into cPanel and do it for them. Does that make more sense?

Whilst I am adept at using Dreamweaver and Dreamwever extensions. I can also hold my own with HTML and i'm beginning to get my head around hand coding with PHP, I know hardly anything about XML and API's especially when it comes to interacting with cPanel.

I'm happy to learn (especially with an emphasis on using it all with cPanel) but where to start? I really do need a newbie starting point with this.