The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FirE-dRaGoN, Jan 9, 2004.

1. FirE-dRaGoN

FirE-dRaGoN Registered

Hello...

I'm going to start a web hosting business. I recently got a dedicated server, this is the specs:

Pentium IV 2.4 GHz
    1 GB DDR RAM
    120 GB HD

I have been on the hosting bussiness a little ago but only locally on my town, using a server located on a 512kbps ADSL line :rolleyes:

I wish to know how many sites the server can handle, maybe I will offer reseller packages, and I need to know an estimate... I don't want to overload the server... (or servers)...

Thanks.... :D

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

2. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

theres never a way to determine how many accounts the server can handle because:

1. Depends on much memory each account has and what resources they use.
    2. What process you have working in the background of the server.
    3. What scripts and types of sites your users run, etc...

The only real way to be safe, is as your adding new users.. if u notice the server load getting high, or memory usuage getting low.. its a sign that you need a new server lol... otherwise then that just pack people in there until you notice any server problems with performance, load, etc...

But from the specs of your server so far, it looks like you can put a couple hundred or more on your server. i wish i had 1gig of ram and 120gig drive.

Hopefully i'll have a server as powerful as u one day lol.. but so far i'm good with my server

running RHE + Cpanel + Antivir(antivirus) + Logwatch/tripwire+chrootkit, 40gig primary drive with 40gig backupdrive for cpanel, and the hardware firewall. Intel Celeron - 2.4 Ghz, and 512mb of ram.

3. FirE-dRaGoN

FirE-dRaGoN Registered

Oh, thank you very much for your info. :)