The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A quick question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saeed, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Saeed

Saeed Active Member

Hi,

I just received an email from this webhost one of our customers is moving to due to lower prices and they want us to give them ROOT password so that they can move this customers reseller account (and subaccounts) to their server. This is of course out of question. They've also suggested to give us their ROOT password so that we can do the transfer.

Anyhow, my quesstion is... Isn't it possible to move all this customers subaccounts by simply using his reseller login/pass? And also move his reseller account by maybe downloading the backup or something like that? I don't see any reason for needing ROOT password for moving a reseller account.

I would appriciate your thoughts on this issue. I just want to be 100% before I answer them.

Thank you.

2. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sounds like somebody doesn't know what they are doing. Have them give you root -- to their Server -- and you can do the transfer for them. ;)

3. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I would tell your customer that it sounds like this host may not know what they are doing.

There is almost never a good reason to give your root password to someone else.