The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Real Idiot Needs Help with HTTPS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by a1designs, Jul 22, 2005.

1. a1designs

a1designs Registered

Hello,

I have cPanel running on Apache, a reseller account. I paid for ssl. I need help on setting up ssl. I went through and generated keys and crt and csr. Ok, so I noticed a new folder was created called ssl, but I don't know what to do next. Is there a place where there is step by step instructions on how to do this? I want https:// and I really don't know what I am doing. I have been reading the forums and I'm lost. Please help and I don't mind if you use layman's terms. My host is too hard to reach or I'd be talking to her. So, can some one tell me step-by-step the process and remember, I'm really new to this, so point out where I have to go and what I have to do. please.

Thanks

2. dkz

dkz Well-Known Member

I assume by you paid for SSL means you purchased a certificate. If you have your certificate, log back into WHM and go to the link called "Install a SSL Certificate and Setup the Domain". Insert the certificate code and key code in their named boxes, enter the domain name the certificate will be used for and the User ID (the account username), last enter a free IP (by free I mean a IP that is not in use on your server). If you don't know if you have any free IP's go to the link called "Rebuild the IP Address Pool" and it will tell you how many free IP's are on the system. Assuming you have at least one go to the link Show IP Address Usage. Find a IP that has no accounts assigned to it and use that IP back in the original link and press Do It. You will get a notice saying if the certificate was accepted or not. You may also want to change your DNS refresh rate to around 300 and wait about 4 hours before changing the IP of a account otherwise the domain name will appear to be offline. Changing it to 300 will reduce the down time to 300 seconds. To change the refresh rate of a domain name go to the link Edit a DNS Zone and select the domain name you want to modify. Just go through the list and change anything that says 14440 to 300 and save the changes. Once the certificate is installed, remember to update the refresh rate to 14400. I hope this makes enough sense to get the job done. I'm writing this when i'm half asleep.

Good luck....