The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"A" record (DNS) pointing to cpanel server

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by crimsondryad, Aug 9, 2007.

1. crimsondryad

crimsondryad Member

Aug 1, 2006
    I have a client who is hosting their own email but they are pointing their A record to us. Currently they have the A record pointed, but my server is showing the apache page instead of their site.

Now, they are pointing to the nameserver IP and not the regular shared IP. Would this matter? Also, the SOA record is showing my nameserver, should it be showing the ISP? We were developing on this site before it went live and previously had it pointed to a subdomain of my main site. Do I need to whack some of the records to make this work right?

While I've been using cPanel for about a year now, we don't often have customers using setups like this. Please be gentle with me, I'm a DNS noob.
  2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2004
    If you're saying that on their DNS server they have a hostname of WWW and the associated IP is your nameserver IP, then yes, that's wrong, it should be the shared IP

Where the *master* records are kept, *that* should be the SOA.

You'll want to remove the domain from /etc/localdomains and add it /etc/remotedomains so that email is routed correctly. You may have to do some other bits of cleaning, depending on what happens.