The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'A' Records, MX Records questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cacathcart, Dec 21, 2005.

1. cacathcart

cacathcart Member

One of my clients is in the process of switching over to a new design/hosting company that caters exclusively to their Industry. Their new web site is ready, so I have pointed the A record to their new IP. They will be switching their mail server over eventually, but until then, they will be using mine.

The new site shows up fine, but now no one can send/receive email using POP3 programs (Outlook, etc). They can, however, access/send/receive their email directly by using their dedicated IP address on my server (https:www.domainname.com:2096)

I am assuming I need to amend other DNS information to get things working, but I am not sure just what to do. I have searched the forums, and I can't find the answer on previous post. Help!
    :confused:

2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Assuming the MX record *was* pointing to your server previously, it seems likely that in the move, the new hosting company has pointed their domain to use the new hosts nameservers. This being the case, *they* are most likely setting up DNS to use an MX record that points to their system.

Check DNS using another site such as dnsstuff.com .

3. cacathcart

cacathcart Member

That's what I thought....

I thought that was the solution, but of course, the new hosting company is denying all responsibility.....I'll give it another shot with them. Always good to have a little extra ammo when going into battle!
    :)
    :cool:

4. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Pull the info from the DNS site first... you should be able to find what nameservers are reporting what information. Might even try a couple of sites, or PM me and I'll give a hand if needed.

5. cacathcart

cacathcart Member

Thank for you help! I believe we finally got the situation resolved, with an additional 'A' record for the mail server, and by removing a CNAME record for 'mail'.

Thanks again, and happy holidays to all!
    :)