The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A single line Regex as the only filter fails with v.long e-mail headers

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by OldB, Nov 17, 2015.

1. OldB

OldB Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    It has taken me 3 months! to isolate the problem but this is the Regex that causes the problem:
    Code:
    (\n(to|cc):(.*\n[ \t]){0,5}.*|^Received: from (.|\n)+[ \t]+for)[ \t]*<?(user1|user2)\@domain1
    when matched against All headers.

When very long e-mail headers are tested the above Regex fails in the cPanel "Account level Filtering" test facility. V.long headers started to arrive in June/July 2015 - examples typically have a server names ending in: .mail.protection.outlook.com, .portsmouth.uk.ibm.com, eurprd07.prod.outlook.com, mcws-ironport3.johnlewis.co.uk, .outbound.protection.outlook.com.
    Obviously I can PM examples of specific headers that fail.
    Note that the above Regex *does* work fine for detecting recipients in 98% of e-mails.
    Is it my Regex code or ??? I would welcome any suggestions or feedback.
    My original post was here: e-mails cause a problem in non-trivial(inc.RegEx) cPanel/Exim.
    I got my version of cPanel from the link: cPanel User Documentation - Documentation - cPanel Documentation.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Is there a reason why you started a new thread on the same topic as that other thread? Preferably that thread you started should be continued there.

3. OldB

OldB Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I started a new thread because my original title/description and content was a very fuzzy scenario as there were dozens of filters and dozens of Regexs in many of them - whereas...
    I have isolated the problem to be a single Regex in a single filter for the whole (new) account so is now tightly defined (+hopefully reproducable) and *may* actually be my error although the Regex does work 98% of the time - so hopefully isn't.

The Regex seems to be OK at debuggex.com but I was hoping that someone might be a Regex wizard or have even written a better Regex that matches both the visible recipients as well as the "envelope" data as I am attempting to do in a single line so I don't have to (a) maintain a duplicate version of (user1|user2)\@domain as some of those can be too wide to see/compare and (b) use cPanel's and+or.

If a moderator would like to combine the two posts then that would be OK by me but ideally the title would describe what it has taken me 3 months to isolate - i.e. the title of *this* new thread.
    BTW the cPanel I am using is: build=11.52.0.23 - my earlier link turned into a page title.