A wget error, I can't even install WHM

fearmydesign

Aug 24, 2009
[ SOLVED ] A wget error, I can't even install WHM

Hi everyone, I have been trying to find the answer to this issue for a couple of hours now... New server, I am trying to install WHM using the following command;

wget layer1.cpanel.net/latest;sh latest

but it spits out the following error;

Resolving layer1.cpanel.net... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.
wget: unable to resolve host address `layer1.cpanel.net'
sh: latest: No such file or directory

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I thought it may have something to do with my nameservers so I executed the following command;

nano resolv.conf

and it says server1.ileansolutions.co at the top, nothing else, is this correct?

then I found this command which I thought could tell me something; cat /etc/hosts
...and this is what I get

# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1 server1.ileansolutions.co server1 localhost.localdomain localhost
::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

Any ideas what could be going on? I just need to install WHM/Cpanel :confused:

Thank you

Last edited:

ravindradhainwa

Jan 24, 2008
Hi Rod,

I suggest you to edit your resolv.conf and change the resolvers to "nameserver 8.8.8.8".

fearmydesign

Aug 24, 2009
I suggest you to edit your resolv.conf and change the resolvers to "nameserver 8.8.8.8"
Hello Ravindra, thank you, it worked!! ...but I have a question, should I replace nameserver 8.8.8.8 with the actual server IP Address? or what is the function of putting nameserver 8.8.8.8

Thank you

fearmydesign

Aug 24, 2009
I suggest you to edit your resolv.conf and change the resolvers to "nameserver 8.8.8.8"
Hello Ravindra, thank you, it worked!! ...but I have a question, should I replace nameserver 8.8.8.8 with the actual server IP Address? or what is the function of putting nameserver 8.8.8.8

Thank you
Ok, I got it!! this is the primary DNS and the secondary DNS (8.8.8.8. & 8.8.4.4.)... now I remember, I accidentally deleted these two when I first installed CentOS.

Thank you for your help