The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ability to log File Manager Uploads?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChrisRHS, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisRHS

ChrisRHS Well-Known Member

Is there a way to log files that get removed or added through the file manager in a users control panel? I can know that I can track ftp transactions, however, I think the need to track any upload would be a value, because if someone has the CPanel password, this is the same as the ftp password, and if an attacker knows that ftp gets logged, and file manager does not, it leaves them harder to trace.

Perhaps I am mistaken as well, and there currently is a logging method in place, if someone could point it out, that would be great as well. :)

Chris

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The activity should be logged in /usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log

3. ChrisRHS

The activity is logged, however, it does not log the actual file names that are being uploaded/removed. An example:

[04/09/2009:16:06:30 -0000] "GET /uploadstatus/?uploadid=SrDitysijysN0TOp6999654 HTTP/1.1" 200 0 "http://xxxxxxx.info:2082/frontend/x3/filemanager/upload-ajax.html?file=&fileop=&dir=%2Fhome%2Fxxxxxxx%2Fpublic_html&dirop=&charset=&__cpanel__temp__charset__=&baseurl=&basedir=" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8"

As you can see, there is an uploadid, however, file name is not mentioned, unless the uploadid is stored elsewhere

4. ChrisRHS

Can anyone provide more information on this, or, perhaps a way to log these file manager transactions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.