The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About Firewall on WHM VPS

Discussion in 'Security' started by chriselle, Nov 4, 2014.

1. chriselle

chriselle Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am familiarizing the flow. As I turn the page for each of the menus, I noticed there is no menu for firewall. For the experts here, please bear with me. May I know where can I locate the firewall? I checked all files, tried the search but nothing comes out for FIREWALL. The reason I ask this because one of my friends has an issue on mysql DB. She said, the cause was the firewall that blocks the IP. I tried looking it myself but cant find it. Please help this newbie see the light on this issue.

Thanks a bunch.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

A firewall is not included with cPanel/WHM but you are welcome to install a third-party firewall management utility such as CSF:

ConfigServer Security & Firewall

Note that even though a firewall is not included with cPanel/WHM, you may still have some default or custom iptables firewall rules enabled on your system.

Thank you.

3. chriselle

chriselle Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks a bunch for getting back at me fast. Really appreciate.
    Now, where can I locate the default or custom iptables firewall? Please forgive this newbie.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. chriselle

chriselle Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the link. Really helps.
    As a newbie, I am exerting all effort to inject all these details into my DNA. I am newly appointed to man a server because the other person left with no trace. Where can I access or know the server's root password? Is it true that in trying to block or allow IPs, there is no need to use the root password?

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You will have to contact your hosting provider or data center to have the root password reset if you are unable to find it. You must have "root" access to block or allow IP addresses in a firewall.

Thank you.

7. chriselle

chriselle Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You are an angel to me. You cleared one fourth of my blurred path. The reason I ask this is to confirm what the other incharge had told our boss that its simple to change IPs, just add the IP and that's it. I told my boss that a root password is required but the other person's thought was instilled in his mind and root password is not required. Whew! Really a pain here. Do you think the hosting provider would provide us the root pw when they already mentioned they won't store it for security reasons? I'm really floating in this problem - a newbie hell as I say, yay! Please help.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the ex-incharge also mentioned to our boss that to find the firewall, just search it then add/block the IP. Sounds like an easy ABC but I know its not that way.

8. chriselle

chriselle Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This problem occurred when we cant make a connection to our other server and the cause was the firewall blocking the IP. Hmmm, why in the first place was the IP blocked? Anyway, so the fix was to enable or allow or add the IP of the other server by searching the firewall, then add/change/allow the IP, that's it. No root password mentioned, nadah! Is this right? I am a certified newbie, an alien that just landed on this technical world. Please enlighten the remaining blurred path in me.

9. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Your hosting provider or data center will be able to change the root password after you verify to them that you are the account owner. It's not something you will be able to complete if you do not already have root access. It's definitely required if you want to manage your iptables firewall rules from the root level.

Thank you.

10. chriselle

chriselle Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    @Michael, so it's a ploy to say root pw is not required to manage iptables/firewall. Thanks so much for helping me understand the world of firewall. :)