The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About group permissions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ARWEB, Sep 28, 2010.

1. ARWEB

ARWEB Member

Jul 19, 2007
    I have some servers and I was cheking folders and permissions by root. When I went to / (root folder) I ran command
    ls -lh
    and see folders and files with owner and group root but folder scripts have
    user 500
    and the group is of one of my hosting reseller name user so my question is
    why? I think this folder must to have root in group too because my others servers have this permissions
    user root
    group root
    And even into this folder, scripts, have some script files with the same group.

Somebody help me?
  2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Houston, TX
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It sounds like you are describing the group ownerships, not permissions. Ownerships and permissions are two separate, yet sometimes related, concepts.

If you see a numeric value in the user or group ownership, it means that the file or directory is owned by a user or group that does not exist.

500 is often, but not always, the UID of the nobody user. From your description, it sounds like the ownerships of some of the files and directories have changed, but the new UIDs and GIDs either match the wrong user and group names, or there is no user and group name in /etc/passwd and /etc/group to match the UID and GID.

The simplest way to correct this is simply to change the ownerships of the files and directories to the correct usernames and groups. /etc/passwd and /etc/group will be checked for the current UID and GID for the user and group you use in your chown command.