The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About SMTP....

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mowonmti, Feb 9, 2006.

1. mowonmti

mowonmti Registered

:confused: Does Cpanel work with sendmail? SMTP?? or not??
    becuz im trying to find out that control panel work with sendmail......
    :confused:

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, if you mean which SMTP server does cPanel use, then the answer is No, since it uses exim.

4. elliotcooper

elliotcooper Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I don't think that chirpy is correct here. Exim and SMTP are different but related things. Exim is a piece of mail server software that is responsible for delivering incomming mail to user mail boxes, relaying outgoing mail and handling your requests to collect mail.

This is a quick summary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exim

SMTP is the name of protocol that is used to transmit mail across the internet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smtp

As such Exim employs SMTP to relay mail that you send through the server and handle incomming mail sent to it. So the answer is that it is configured out of the box to respond to SMTP connections on port 25. If you set your mail client e.g. Outlook, to use either your servers IP or a hostname that resolves to your server as the outgoing mail server then you will be able to send mail through it.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I don't see where you go from explaining what an SMTP server does to saying that I'm wrong.

Strictly speaking exim is an MTA that uses SMTP to relay email - so it's what is popularly known as an SMTP server (i.e. and service that utilises the SMTP protocol). Which is what you've said, and is what I said. cPanel uses exim as its SMTP server.

No-one is talking about MUA's (i.e. Outlook as you've mentioned) here. The OP is referring to the MTA not MUA's :rolleyes:

Which is all irrelevant, since the answer is the same, cPanel uses exim as its SMTP server (i.e. MTA) and cannot be configured to use sendmail.