The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absolute beginner! Please help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greenbacker, Dec 8, 2008.

1. greenbacker

greenbacker Registered

Hi all.

I'm new to websites, as you will learn in the following sentences:

Let's say I've created a site in Dreamweaver. I've got a domain and a host that uses cpanel. Now, what do I do next? I understand that I have to upload but what do I upload exactly and to where? What goes where?

Thanks for your help guys! If there is even a good step-by-step resource you can point me to on this, that would be greatly appreciated.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

Your host should be able to help you understand how to use the account. That's where you'd start. Or their forums. If your host runs into issues he uses these forums.

Meantime, upload your new site to the /public_html/ directory on your account. Anything in that directory is accessible by your domain name. (yourdomain.com)

HTH :)

3. Mokey

Mokey Registered

greenbacker, you're not alone! I can't wait to hear the answers to those questions...:confused:

infopro, I didn't know which directory to use, so thanks.

#3 Mokey, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  4. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, most of those answers need to come from your hosting provider. Some hosts set things up differently so without knowing the exact setup it would be difficult to guess.

We use short flash movies (tutorials) and extensive knowledge base. I am sure you host has something similar, just search thier site or ask thier support desk to point you in the right direction.

Mostly cPanel forums are for administration of the software for those who are purchasing cPanel and not an end user solution (for the reasons listed above), that being said cPanel is a user friendly product and fairly easy to learn to use, good luck in your venture.

#4 rhenderson, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  5. dmderoeck

dmderoeck Registered

What hosting are you with if I may ask?

Host Gator does an excellent job of both forum, tutorials, as well as online and phone support.

I agree with rhenderson though. Your provider should be able to provide you with some good, basic direction.