Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Academic Use and 8 Character Username Limit

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by mwynne, Oct 10, 2017.

1. mwynne

mwynne Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi All,

I am working on getting cpanel/WHM setup for use in classes here at our college. Wondering if there is anyone out there that has done this and could provide some guidance and lessons learned before I go to production. The way I have it set up now is I am setting instructors up with reseller accounts and letting them create users/domains for their class(es).

One thing in particular that I am seeing as being problematic is the username first 8 character uniqueness requirement. Is there any way to tweak that? I have read that it is tied to the way cPanel creates dB prefix names so wondering if that can be altered at all.

I currently have a single server, and am planning to have them create domains/user accounts that match the students' username which we allow them to set themselves and it often gets duplicated beyond 8 characters (for instance, they often use lastnamefirstname as a format and last names often duplicate beyond 8.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Mark

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

In cPanel & WHM version 11.56 and newer, MySQL's unique character limit requirement does not exist on servers that use MariaDB. You can ensure MariaDB is installed by using the following option:

"WHM Home » Software » MySQL/MariaDB Upgrade"

This will allow you to use usernames that start with the same eight characters, regardless of if database prefixing is enabled under the "SQL" tab in "WHM >> Tweak Settings".

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mwynne

mwynne Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thanks for the info. That works!

Anyone have any Academic use cases/suggestions?

Mark